Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano urges plan for hurricane season
by Associated Press
Published: June 1,2012
Tags: Craig Fugate, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Florida, Gov. Rick Scott, Hurricane Season, Jacksonville, Janet Napolitano, Memorial Day, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, National Hurricane Center, Tropical Storm Alberto, Tropical Storm Beryl, U.S. Department of Homland Security
The season begins today and Napolitano will join Federal Emergency Management Agency head Craig Fugate, as well as Florida Gov. Rick Scott to urge those likely to be affected by storms to prepare beforehand.
Officials will begin their public service campaign Friday at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
While not officially beginning until Friday, the season has already seen two named storms. Tropical Storm Alberto formed off the coast of South Carolina on May 19 and dissipated a few days later. And on Memorial Day, Tropical Storm Beryl came ashore near Jacksonville, Fla., dumping 10 inches of rain in some areas of north Florida.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Counties ‘hoping to get it right’ as they await Tuscaloosa Marine shale boom
- News The Way You Want It!