Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano urges plan for hurricane season
by Associated Press
Published: June 1,2012
Tags: Craig Fugate, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Florida, Gov. Rick Scott, Hurricane Season, Jacksonville, Janet Napolitano, Memorial Day, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, National Hurricane Center, Tropical Storm Alberto, Tropical Storm Beryl, U.S. Department of Homland Security
The season begins today and Napolitano will join Federal Emergency Management Agency head Craig Fugate, as well as Florida Gov. Rick Scott to urge those likely to be affected by storms to prepare beforehand.
Officials will begin their public service campaign Friday at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
While not officially beginning until Friday, the season has already seen two named storms. Tropical Storm Alberto formed off the coast of South Carolina on May 19 and dissipated a few days later. And on Memorial Day, Tropical Storm Beryl came ashore near Jacksonville, Fla., dumping 10 inches of rain in some areas of north Florida.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- Union-restricting legislation moves forward
- Boyd Gaming reports drop in in-state net revenue