Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano urges plan for hurricane season
Published: June 1,2012
Tags: Craig Fugate, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Florida, Gov. Rick Scott, Hurricane Season, Jacksonville, Janet Napolitano, Memorial Day, Mississippi, Mississippi Business Journal, National Hurricane Center, Tropical Storm Alberto, Tropical Storm Beryl, U.S. Department of Homland Security
The season begins today and Napolitano will join Federal Emergency Management Agency head Craig Fugate, as well as Florida Gov. Rick Scott to urge those likely to be affected by storms to prepare beforehand.
Officials will begin their public service campaign Friday at the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
While not officially beginning until Friday, the season has already seen two named storms. Tropical Storm Alberto formed off the coast of South Carolina on May 19 and dissipated a few days later. And on Memorial Day, Tropical Storm Beryl came ashore near Jacksonville, Fla., dumping 10 inches of rain in some areas of north Florida.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment