MUW faculty honored
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 3,2012
Tags: Brian Anderson, Bridget Pieschel, Center for Women's Research & Public Policy, Mississippi University for Women, Public Relations Association of Mississippi, Shaochen Yang, Thomas Nawrocki, Van Roberts
Faculty members at Mississippi University for Women (MUW) were recently recognized. Dr. Bridget Pieschel, professor of English and director of the Center for Women’s Research and Public Policy, was honored with the 2012 Kossen Faculty Excellence Award. Criterion for the award is based on three fundamentals — excellence in teaching, excellence in scholarly or artistic achievement and excellence in service, preferably both on campus and in communities throughout MUW’s service area. Further, a faculty member must exhibit a commitment to student success in each of these three areas of responsibility.
Dr. Brian Anderson, chair of the Department of History, Political Science and Geography and professor of political science, was named Faculty Member of the Year. MUW’s Mortar Board Honor Society coordinates this election each year, and the Alumni Endowment held by the Foundation furnishes the award, which was presented at graduation.
New emeriti faculty members were recognized at MUW’s commencement ceremony. Thomas Nawrocki, who has been a faculty member for 41 years, was named emeritus professor of art. Dr. Shaochen Yang, who has been a member of the faculty for 23 years, was named emerita professor of mathematics. Emeriti status is a high honor, which may be conferred upon a faculty member with the rank of assistant professor or above who is retiring after a lengthy career of distinguished service at MUW.
Dr. Van Roberts, associate professor of communication, was named Educator of the Year at the 2012 Public Relations Association of Mississippi (PRAM) state conference recently held in Columbus. Roberts was nominated by members of the Golden Triangle PRAM chapter. In order to qualify, Roberts had to be a full-time faculty member teaching in a public relations/journalism/communication curriculum at any rank and a member of PRAM. He was chosen from a panel of five senior public relations practitioners in the Northwest Arkansas Public Relations Society of America.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Report ranks state schools' performance 51st in the nation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years