First Nissan Altima rolls off line in Canton
Published: June 7,2012
CANTON — The first Mississippi-produced 2013 Altima rolled off the assembly line in Canton on Wednesday.
This fall, the Frontier midsize pick-up truck and the Xterra SUV will shift production to Canton, from Nissan’s Smyrna, Tenn., plant where they are now built.
Altima is the biggest seller for the Japanese automaker, even though sales fell 11.1 percent to 22,690 as it sells off older models ahead of the arrival of the 2013 model.
The Altima begins shipping to Nissan dealers this week. It goes on sale with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $21,500 at the end of June.
Nissan’s Canton Assembly Plant, which opened in 2003, employs about 3,300 employees. Besides the Altima, models produced at Canton include the Armada full-size SUV, Titan full-size pickup and NV commercial vehicles.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)