Out-of-control brush fires in Pine Belt prompt burn ban
by Associated Press
Published: June 9,2012
JONES COUNTY — Dry conditions, low humidity and high winds have led to a spike in out-of-control brush fires in Jones County.
Fire coordinator Dan McKenna tells the Hattiesburg American the biggest problem areas have been south of the U.S. 84 East corridor and in the southwest part of the county.
McKenna said yesterday he issued the advisory in an effort to lessen the load on volunteer fire departments that respond to those calls.
He is asking residents not to burn anything until the county gets some significant rainfall.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones