One death reported from last night’s severe storms; damage widespread
Published: June 12,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — Severe storms that moved through Mississippi left one person dead in Vicksburg, downed trees and power outages.
The National Weather Service says winds were reported up to 70 miles per hour in some areas last night. The storm system continued to dump heavy rain on portions of central and south Mississippi today.
In Vicksburg, widespread power outages were reported today. Authorities say a man died after being hit by lightning in Vicksburg during last night’s storm. Other details not immediately available.
“We’re cleaning up this morning,” said Warren County EOC director John Elfer. “We had about 31 trees down in the county and 12 in the city and power outages. Most of our major thoroughfares are passable at this point. No one area is any worse than another.”
Utility officials reported about 1,600 customers were without power early today.
In Union County, Sheriff Jimmy Edwards says the storm knocked power to the jail but a generator kicked in to continue providing power.
Elsewhere in north Mississippi, authorities said there were reports of power lines down in roadways and trees fallen on structures from Baldwyn to Saltillo into Tupelo, Palmetto, Verona and Plantersville. No injuries were reported.
“I don’t think there was an area that wasn’t affected,” said Lee County EOC director Paul Harkin.
Similar reports — along with instances of flash flooding — were reported in Alcorn, Tippah, Union, Prentiss and Tishomingo counties.
In Prentiss County, a tree fell across the southbound lanes of Highway 45 near the Lee County line. An 18-wheeler overturned on northbound Highway 45 at the Highway 30/Wheeler exit at Frankstown, blocking lanes.
Prentiss County Emergency Management Director Ralph Lauderdale said four houses in Baldwyn had trees fall on them.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money