Supervisors rethink request for special election
by Associated Press
Published: June 15,2012
HERNANDO — DeSoto County supervisors are rethinking a request to Gov. Phil Bryant to schedule a vote to fill the balance of departing state Sen. Merle Flowers’ four-year term for Nov. 6.
Supervisor Mark Gardner tells the Commercial Appeal some local residents were concerned about not having representation once Flowers, a Republican from Southaven, formally resigns.
Gardner says supervisors meet Monday and he expects them to ask Bryant to schedule an election as soon as possible.
Flowers said last month he was resigning to spend more time with his wife and their four children.
Supervisors had said they could save money by holding the Senate election on the same date as the presidential and congressional election. Turnout also could be expected to be higher.
Under state law, the governor must provide 40 days’ notice of a special election to fill a legislative vacancy and must announce the election date within 30 days of the vacancy.
Any election Bryant schedules may include filling the remaining term of state Rep. Tommy Woods, R-Byhalia, who is departing the House due to health reasons.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge