Tornado-torn town gets first look at recovery plan
by Associated Press
Published: June 19,2012
SMITHVILLE — Smithville officials are looking at the first draft of what they are calling the road map to the future.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports the comprehensive plan had been in the words before the April 27, 2011, tornado devastated the northeast Mississippi town.
A grant from Appalachian Region Commission helped the town complete the rough draft of the plan along with a future land use map and a pedestrian friendly map, which includes walkways and sidewalks outlining growth over the next 20 years.
Mayor Gregg Kennedy says the board of aldermen and the planning commission are reviewing the plan.
Kennedy says a workshop will be scheduled sometime for later this summer where residents can view and discuss the comprehensive plan with town leaders.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- Alcorn's finances being investigated; CFO resigns
- Keeping our eye on... Liz Lancaster
- GOP Sen. Thad Cochran to run for seventh term
- NEW ORLEANS SAINTS MOVING — Mississippi company has the task of moving the football team
- Hood issues opinion on open-carry gun law
- Texas company buys Tuscaloosa Marine Shale leases