Tornado-torn town gets first look at recovery plan
by Associated Press
Published: June 19,2012
SMITHVILLE — Smithville officials are looking at the first draft of what they are calling the road map to the future.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports the comprehensive plan had been in the words before the April 27, 2011, tornado devastated the northeast Mississippi town.
A grant from Appalachian Region Commission helped the town complete the rough draft of the plan along with a future land use map and a pedestrian friendly map, which includes walkways and sidewalks outlining growth over the next 20 years.
Mayor Gregg Kennedy says the board of aldermen and the planning commission are reviewing the plan.
Kennedy says a workshop will be scheduled sometime for later this summer where residents can view and discuss the comprehensive plan with town leaders.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Report: Mississippi only state to see drop in home prices
- Palmertree blocked from using public funds for legal defense
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- Two companies fined for violations of 'No-Call' law
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- John Ferrucci'a perfect voice is perfect for the Silver Slipper Casino
- City suing Hercules for pollution at shuttered plant site