Tornado-torn town gets first look at recovery plan
Published: June 19,2012
SMITHVILLE — Smithville officials are looking at the first draft of what they are calling the road map to the future.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports the comprehensive plan had been in the words before the April 27, 2011, tornado devastated the northeast Mississippi town.
A grant from Appalachian Region Commission helped the town complete the rough draft of the plan along with a future land use map and a pedestrian friendly map, which includes walkways and sidewalks outlining growth over the next 20 years.
Mayor Gregg Kennedy says the board of aldermen and the planning commission are reviewing the plan.
Kennedy says a workshop will be scheduled sometime for later this summer where residents can view and discuss the comprehensive plan with town leaders.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- Circuit clerks question how to get records to McDaniel's trial
- PEDIGREE dog food recalled; might contain metal fragments
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Judicial candidates put on ballot after rejection of challenges
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Judge expected to rule today on McDaniel's challenge of loss to Cochran