Tornado-torn town gets first look at recovery plan
Published: June 19,2012
SMITHVILLE — Smithville officials are looking at the first draft of what they are calling the road map to the future.
WTVA-TV in Tupelo reports the comprehensive plan had been in the words before the April 27, 2011, tornado devastated the northeast Mississippi town.
A grant from Appalachian Region Commission helped the town complete the rough draft of the plan along with a future land use map and a pedestrian friendly map, which includes walkways and sidewalks outlining growth over the next 20 years.
Mayor Gregg Kennedy says the board of aldermen and the planning commission are reviewing the plan.
Kennedy says a workshop will be scheduled sometime for later this summer where residents can view and discuss the comprehensive plan with town leaders.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love