Bales wins honor
by MBJ Staff
Published: June 25,2012
Don Bales of Purvis, a senior Mississippi State University Extension Service associate in MSU ‘s College of Forest Resources and certified wildlife biologist, was recently named the national Extension Forester of the Year by the Forest Landowners Association. His office is located in the MSU Extension Service ‘s Southeast District Forestry Office in Lamar County.
Bales was praised for his work in Title III educational programs, which include field days, workshops, short courses, logger education programs and youth events. Bales has garnered nearly $7 million in funding to support more than 1,500 educational programs in the eligible counties.
As an area associate, Bales works with Amite, Benton, Chickasaw, Forrest, Greene, Harrison, Jefferson, Jones, Perry, Scott, Sharkey and Wilkinson counties. Bales has worked for the Extension Service since 1993 and began his career as a county agent.
He holds a bachelor ‘s degree in forestry from MSU and is a registered forester.
Bales is active in professional organizations and serves on the board of directors for the Mississippi Forestry Association and the Mississippi Wildlife Federation. He is a member of the Quality Deer Management Association, the Southeast Deer Study Group, The Wildlife Society and the Society of American Foresters.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Acco Brands investing $1.6M, adding 162 workers
- Gulf LNG terminal mulling export opportunities
- Secretary of State's Office transitioning to new location