Ex-attorney sentenced to 40 years for stealing clients’ money
by Associated Press
Published: June 25,2012
CANTON — A former Ridgeland attorney who admitted to swindling hundreds of thousands of dollars from his former clients has been sentenced to serve 20 years in prison.
District Attorney Michael Guest says former Ridgeland attorney Vann Leonard received a 40-year sentence today for embezzling more than $500,000 from several clients that he represented in 2008 and 2009. Twenty years of the sentence was suspended.
Leonard has pleaded guilty to misleading two of his former clients between June 2008 and December 2011. Leonard told his clients he’d hold their money in his trust account for legal fees, when he actually spent the funds for his own personal use.
Leonard also was given five years supervised probation and ordered to pay restitution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Tallahatchie General’s listing on auditor’s ‘watchline’ an image set back, CEO says
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Kelly Boutwell added, Jason Word promoted at MEC
- Ex-city worker arrested on false pretense charge
- Cotton to take center stage during MSU summit
- BRENT CHRISTENSEN — Entrepreneurs: A vital fuel for Mississippi’s Economy