Water Valley Main Street director spurs action
by Ted Carter
Published: July 1,2012
A self-described whiz at “aggravating” townsfolk and getting under their skin to enlist help putting projects in motion is the top Main Street director in Mississippi.
Mickey Howley took Mississippi Main Street’s Charles O. Beasley Scholarship Award home to Water Valley for his lead role bringing life back to the former railroad town 14 miles south of Oxford.
The New Orleans native moved to Water Valley with his wife, a University of Mississippi professor, 10 years ago. “It’s got a great wealth of terrific architecture,” he said of his adopted hometown.
Today, through restoration efforts and a welcoming climate for entrepreneurs, Water Valley is a mix of old and new businesses — with a fondness for art, as shown by the three galleries.
A group of women business owners was featured in a New York Times story earlier this year and a Chinese arts and culture magazine recently devoted a half dozen pages to telling Water Valley’s story.
Howley has been credited with helping to spur much of the town’s revival. “What keeps me going is I like to aggravate people,” he said. “I get up every morning to get under their skin and make things happen.”
Howley was one of 31 award winners at the June 21 Mississippi Main Street Annual Awards Meeting & Luncheon at the Old Capitol Inn in Jackson.
“This year’s award winners reflect the commitment of many individuals and groups who champion what Main Street is all about — developing the heart of our communities, our historic downtowns, and enhancing the quality of life for everyone,” Bob Wilson, the organization’s executive director, said.
Operating under the credo of “Collaboration, Not Competition,” Mississippi Main Street has 51 active Main Street Communities as well as seven Downtown Networks and several Association members.
Main Street’s presented its annual awards in a range of categories, including design, organization and economic development.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters