Ex-Delta housing director to be sentenced next month
by Associated Press
Published: July 3,2012
GREENVILLE — The former director of the South Delta Regional Housing Authority will be sentenced Aug. 2 in federal court in Aberdeen.
WABG-TV reports sentencing will be at 10 a.m. before U.S. District Judge Glen H. Davidson.
Ann Jefferson was convicted in March on two counts of embezzlement, two counts of obstruction of justice and three counts of witness intimidation. Jefferson was acquitted of lying to a federal agent.
Her attorneys have argued the evidence was insufficient for a conviction.
Prosecutors say Jefferson converted money from several housing authority accounts to her own use. She also was accused of retaliating against two employees and a woman who bought a house from SDRHA after she found out the individuals had been cooperating with federal investigators looking into alleged crimes committed by Jefferson and others.
Court records said Jefferson made work unbearable for one of the witnesses, a broker and accounts payable analyst for her organization, then had her fired. Jefferson verbally abused another employee and withheld her pay, the indictment said.
The organization claims to promote affordable housing in the Mississippi Delta. Its governing board fired Jefferson after she was convicted.
Prosecutors say Jefferson could be sentenced to a maximum of 80 years in prison and could be fined $3.2 million.
South Delta officials have said they are determining what steps can be taken to recoup stolen funds.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- At age 17, ‘the flagpole kid’ is already a business success story
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Doctor appeals Medicaid, Medicare fraud conviction
- County surveyor accused of doing unlicensed work, fraud
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Brandon biometrics firm merges fingerprinting and smartphones
- South's oldest casino to reopen as Golden Nugget
- Woman pleads not guilty to murder in second buttocks-enhancement case
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions