MGCCC makes national ranking for degrees awarded
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 3,2012
PERKINSTON — Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College has once again been named one of the top associate-degree producers in the nation, with more than 2,000 students receiving degrees in 2011. Community College Week ranked the college at No. 59 in the nation overall.
MGCCC has been named in the top 100 nine times since 2002. It is the only community college in the states of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee to make the overall top-100 list, which it has received seven times, according to MGCCC. The ranking is based on the number of degrees awarded to students from the country’s 1,300 community colleges.
MGCCC claimed the No. 4 spot with education majors, making it the top-ranked community college on the list of education majors. The college had 306 students earning associate degrees in education, and it is the ninth year in a row in which the college has placed in the top 10 on that list.
The college also continues to rank high in graduation rates for African-American students. It ranked No. 44 in the poll, with 290 graduating in 2011, and has remained in the top 50 on that poll for four years.
It ranked 14th for family and consumer sciences majors.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'