MGCCC makes national ranking for degrees awarded
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 3,2012
PERKINSTON — Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College has once again been named one of the top associate-degree producers in the nation, with more than 2,000 students receiving degrees in 2011. Community College Week ranked the college at No. 59 in the nation overall.
MGCCC has been named in the top 100 nine times since 2002. It is the only community college in the states of Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana and Tennessee to make the overall top-100 list, which it has received seven times, according to MGCCC. The ranking is based on the number of degrees awarded to students from the country’s 1,300 community colleges.
MGCCC claimed the No. 4 spot with education majors, making it the top-ranked community college on the list of education majors. The college had 306 students earning associate degrees in education, and it is the ninth year in a row in which the college has placed in the top 10 on that list.
The college also continues to rank high in graduation rates for African-American students. It ranked No. 44 in the poll, with 290 graduating in 2011, and has remained in the top 50 on that poll for four years.
It ranked 14th for family and consumer sciences majors.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Omega Protein shifting vessels to Mississippi
- CARTOON — Nobile illustrates Thad Cochran's most significant advantage over the competition
- PSC unanimously rejects Entergy-ITC proposed merger
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- Bankrupt Simply Wheelz chooses prevailing bidder for assets
- Judge denies ex-mayor's motion to vacate Katrina-related conviction
- Real estate developer to plead guilty to wetlands violation
- Company mulling plan to build new pipeline
- Wiseman retiring after nearly 30 years with Stennis Institute
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State