Alcorn president orders deans to reapply, compete for posts
Published: July 11,2012
LORMAN — Alcorn State University president M. Christopher Brown is requiring the school’s academic deans to reapply and compete for their jobs.
Brown told the Vicksburg Post Alcorn has not reposted and reevaluated the positions in many years.
“We were concerned that we did not have the right people in those jobs,” Brown said.
He said sitting deans were encouraged to apply.
Brown said the process began June 29 when the jobs were listed on the school’s employment opportunities website.
ASU has posted six dean openings — business; agriculture and applied science; education and psychology; nursing; and arts and sciences; and libraries and information resources.
It was not clear if the dean of the school of graduate studies, which does not appear on the list, would also be posted.
Brown said the positions have been opened to applicants nationwide.
In the fall, he said each academic area will select faculty representatives to serve on screening committees to review applications, check references and obtain any necessary supplemental information. Semifinalists will then be evaluated, have background checks made and meet with students, faculty and staff.
The new deans will be named later in the year.
Brown took over the presidency of ASU in January 2011.
He said the school faced two critical issues with regard to administrative and leadership positions, one being “a history of lifetime appointments” and the other contracts that did not differentiate the salary earned from faculty duties and that for administrative duties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- Turner Grain’s transition will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Granddaughter of Barq's Root Beer founder dies at 90
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- MDOT cutting more than 40 jobs in Right-of-Way Division
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- Board authorizes sale of company that owns Silver Slipper Casino