Baptist applies for certificate of need for new hospital
Published: July 12,2012
OXFORD — Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi has formally asked the state to approve its new, $250 million regional medical facility to Oxford.
The state of Mississippi requires a certificate of need in a process designed to avoid duplication of health care services and control costs. Proposals are reviewed by the Mississippi State Department of Health.
The Oxford Eagle reports the CON application was filed in June.
“We are now awaiting a response from (the Department of Health). The approval process usually takes about four months,” said Melissa C. Wommack, physicians’ relations coordinator for Baptist.
Baptist would have five years from the date it receives its CON to complete the new hospital.
Baptist recently purchased 160 acres in southeast Oxford for the new hospital. The site is just west of the current hospital.
While the new facility will have the same 217 beds the current facility has, at least when it first opens, the hospital’s departments will expand and will be more state-of-the-art.
Baptist will build the hospital with the potential to expand to 290 beds in the future. Applying for more beds is a separate CON process.
If the CON is approved by the end of the year, officials said construction would begin in early 2013 with an estimated two- to three-year construction time.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- Kemper County plant will cost at least another $496M to complete
- Cochran calls on EPA for review of Yazoo Backwater Project
- State Sen. Gandy hospitalized in South America
- Camgian launches Internet of Things product called Egburt
- Number of requests for general election absentee ballots roughly same as primary
- After string of losses, O'Hara sees himself as Senate 'protest vote'
- Former Mississippi First Lady Carroll Waller dies at 87