Baptist applies for certificate of need for new hospital
Published: July 12,2012
OXFORD — Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi has formally asked the state to approve its new, $250 million regional medical facility to Oxford.
The state of Mississippi requires a certificate of need in a process designed to avoid duplication of health care services and control costs. Proposals are reviewed by the Mississippi State Department of Health.
The Oxford Eagle reports the CON application was filed in June.
“We are now awaiting a response from (the Department of Health). The approval process usually takes about four months,” said Melissa C. Wommack, physicians’ relations coordinator for Baptist.
Baptist would have five years from the date it receives its CON to complete the new hospital.
Baptist recently purchased 160 acres in southeast Oxford for the new hospital. The site is just west of the current hospital.
While the new facility will have the same 217 beds the current facility has, at least when it first opens, the hospital’s departments will expand and will be more state-of-the-art.
Baptist will build the hospital with the potential to expand to 290 beds in the future. Applying for more beds is a separate CON process.
If the CON is approved by the end of the year, officials said construction would begin in early 2013 with an estimated two- to three-year construction time.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending