Entergy: Consultant’s report supports MISO membership
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 13,2012
JACKSON — Entergy Mississippi Inc. says Mississippi stands to gain from a proposal by the utility to join a large regional transmission organization. This is according to a recent analysis by Mississippi Public Service Commission consultants Bates White, LLC, Entergy reports.
The consulting firm was hired by the MPSC to provide an independent analysis of Entergy Mississippi’s proposal to join the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operator Inc. RTO and an assessment of the savings to Mississippi electricity customers. Conclusions find that the utility’s proposal entails “substantial prospective net economic benefits to Mississippi,” according to Entergy.
Entergy Mississippi estimates its customers will save approximately $250 million in the first decade of its proposed membership in MISO, a nonprofit organization that operates an RTO with an established organized market for the purchase and sale of wholesale electricity. Entergy Mississippi filed its formal request to join MISO last December.
“There are substantial prospective net economic benefits to Mississippi, along with the other Entergy operating companies and SMEPA, joining MISO,” the Bates White consulting report notes, according to Entergy. The study further notes that “Independent production cost modeling directed by Bates White indicates that joining MISO would provide (Entergy Mississippi) with approximately $178 million more benefit than would (other alternatives evaluated), measured by reduced generation cost (10-year NPV).” The report also concludes that SMEPA in particular would benefit from following Entergy Mississippi into an RTO.
“The MPSC consultants’ report is more good news for energy customers in Mississippi,” said Haley Fisackerly, president and CEO of Entergy Mississippi. “It confirms what years of work and numerous studies have demonstrated — that our move to MISO is good for our customers and good for the communities we serve.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- MSU researchers develop timber-management software
- New law on taxing methods hailed as big win for businesses
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip