Former RR depot gets new life as transportation museum
Published: July 16,2012
Tags: boat, cultural tourism, culture, deport, hertiage, historical, history, Museum, railroad, railway, renovation, river traffic, ship, tourism, tourist, traffic, train, transportation, travel, visitor
VICKSBURG — The city of Vicksburg is celebrating the opening of the Old Depot Museum.
It’s housed in the former Yazoo and Mississippi River Valley Railroad Depot. The grand opening was held yesterday.
The museum in downtown Vicksburg features a huge collection of ship models and riverboat models.
“We have an exhibit of tow boats and river boat models. We have a miniature layout of the Vicksburg Battle Field…We have U.S. Naval Vessels named for people and places in Mississippi. There are over a hundred of them and we have 50 of them represented. We hope it will draw some people in. We hope it will become a star attraction for Vicksburg,” said Old Depot Museum Director Lamar Roberts.
The six-year $1.6 million renovation project was made possible by a Mississippi Department of Transportation grant.
The building also houses the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Mayor Paul Winfield and others were there for the grand opening of the museum, which has a replica of the Vicksburg battlefield and the railroad system.
The museum opens Monday through Saturday also features original paintings depicting historic events of the region.
“This is really, really cool. And the kids are really liking it. I was surprised. I said, ‘Let’s go check it out,'” said Denise Skeens, of Vicksburg.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice