Former RR depot gets new life as transportation museum
Published: July 16,2012
Tags: boat, cultural tourism, culture, deport, hertiage, historical, history, Museum, railroad, railway, renovation, river traffic, ship, tourism, tourist, traffic, train, transportation, travel, visitor
VICKSBURG — The city of Vicksburg is celebrating the opening of the Old Depot Museum.
It’s housed in the former Yazoo and Mississippi River Valley Railroad Depot. The grand opening was held yesterday.
The museum in downtown Vicksburg features a huge collection of ship models and riverboat models.
“We have an exhibit of tow boats and river boat models. We have a miniature layout of the Vicksburg Battle Field…We have U.S. Naval Vessels named for people and places in Mississippi. There are over a hundred of them and we have 50 of them represented. We hope it will draw some people in. We hope it will become a star attraction for Vicksburg,” said Old Depot Museum Director Lamar Roberts.
The six-year $1.6 million renovation project was made possible by a Mississippi Department of Transportation grant.
The building also houses the Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Mayor Paul Winfield and others were there for the grand opening of the museum, which has a replica of the Vicksburg battlefield and the railroad system.
The museum opens Monday through Saturday also features original paintings depicting historic events of the region.
“This is really, really cool. And the kids are really liking it. I was surprised. I said, ‘Let’s go check it out,'” said Denise Skeens, of Vicksburg.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Roger Wicker: Profile in discouragement
- Tommy Robertson indicted on five counts of embezzlement
- BILL CRAWFORD — More jobs, but fewer with jobs, huh?
- ANITA MODAK-TRURAN — Mississippi’s motion picture renaissance
- Despite obstacles, craft beer industry growing
- State's ventures into alt-fuel markets net few jobs
- Watch out for wildlife while driving on roads, highways
- Finding your flexible space — Regus banks on high demand for customizable work spaces
- Miss. children's hospital plans $150 million expansion