Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 17,2012
GREENVILLE — The city of Greenville has unofficially been the known as the best place to grab some hot tamales for years. Tomorrow, the city will make it official.
Mayor Chuck Jordan is scheduled to declare Greenville the “Hot Tamale Capital of the World” tomorrow at 10 a.m. on the front steps of City Hall.
The proclamation comes in advance of the Delta Hot Tamale Festival set for Oct. 20.
According to Southern Foodways Alliance, Greenville has more hot tamale restaurants/food stations than any other city in Mississippi. The Mississippi Delta Hot Tamale Trail, a project of Southern Foodways Alliance and Viking Corporation, notes the history of the hot tamale through documented oral histories archived on its website www.tamaletrail.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’”
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap