Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 17,2012
GREENVILLE — The city of Greenville has unofficially been the known as the best place to grab some hot tamales for years. Tomorrow, the city will make it official.
Mayor Chuck Jordan is scheduled to declare Greenville the “Hot Tamale Capital of the World” tomorrow at 10 a.m. on the front steps of City Hall.
The proclamation comes in advance of the Delta Hot Tamale Festival set for Oct. 20.
According to Southern Foodways Alliance, Greenville has more hot tamale restaurants/food stations than any other city in Mississippi. The Mississippi Delta Hot Tamale Trail, a project of Southern Foodways Alliance and Viking Corporation, notes the history of the hot tamale through documented oral histories archived on its website www.tamaletrail.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- More school districts join MAEP lawsuit brought by Musgrove
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money