Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 17,2012
GREENVILLE — The city of Greenville has unofficially been the known as the best place to grab some hot tamales for years. Tomorrow, the city will make it official.
Mayor Chuck Jordan is scheduled to declare Greenville the “Hot Tamale Capital of the World” tomorrow at 10 a.m. on the front steps of City Hall.
The proclamation comes in advance of the Delta Hot Tamale Festival set for Oct. 20.
According to Southern Foodways Alliance, Greenville has more hot tamale restaurants/food stations than any other city in Mississippi. The Mississippi Delta Hot Tamale Trail, a project of Southern Foodways Alliance and Viking Corporation, notes the history of the hot tamale through documented oral histories archived on its website www.tamaletrail.com.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Port City to become ‘Hot Tamale Capital of the World’”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015