Appeals Court reinstates Yates and Sons’ lawsuit against city
Published: July 20,2012
WAVELAND — The state Court of Appeals has reinstated a contractor’s lawsuit against the city of Waveland.
The Sea Coast Echo reports W.G. Yates and Sons Construction sued Waveland in 2009 in a dispute over a $9.3 million contract awarded for a sewer project to Orleans, Ind.-based Reynolds Incorporated.
Yates alleged Waveland’s city engineer made corrections to the Reynolds bid and that the contract was awarded to an out-of-state company, both in violation of Mississippi law.
Yates further claimed the improperly corrected bid was never submitted or signed by Reynolds and was not sealed. Since it was corrected after the submission deadline, Yates argues the bid did not exist.
Yates claimed that local officials refused to discuss the issue and awarded the project to Reynolds.
Waveland officials said Reynolds was Mississippi-based as the company was acquired by Layne Christensen, which has done business in Mississippi since 1976.
The Appeals Court said this that the Mississippi ownership claim was not supported by any evidence other than an affidavit by an attorney for Reynolds and Layne Christensen.
Yates’ suit was thrown out in 2009 by a Hancock County judge.
The Appeals Court said Reynolds’ bid should have been rejected since it did not comply with specifications the city presented in its request for bids on the project.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Prison-contract task force working in wake of Epps' indictment
- Stricklin: Deer parasites don't affect quality of venison
- Bryant wants free tuition for students with technical diploma