TVA reports substation expands capacity, reliability
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 25,2012
WEST POINT — The Tennessee Valley Authority says its $55-million transmission infrastructure project in the southern portion of TVA’s Mississippi District is expanding power capacity, improving system reliability and helping boost the region’s economy.
TVA’s new 500-kilovolt substation in Clay County was activated in June. The utility says the project was completed on time and within budget.
The project upgrades the electrical power capabilities for a key section of TVA’s service area in Mississippi that is experiencing better-than-expected industrial growth.
“Recent economic expansion in this region shows how a strong TVA power infrastructure attracts industry, creates jobs and promotes economic growth,” said Tim Weston, TVA general manager for customer service in Mississippi. “The new Clay (County) substation will help recruit more companies and support existing ones with quality power, reliable service and the capability to accommodate their expansion strategies in the future.”
The project supports electrical service and economic development efforts in TVA’s entire Southern Mississippi District, which includes the Golden Triangle.
The new Clay County substation and two other TVA facilities in West Point and Lowndes County form the primary transmission infrastructure for the southern end of TVA’s Mississippi service area.
The Clay County project is part of a series of transmission infrastructure expansions and improvements in Mississippi, including substations, switching stations, breakers and new power lines, totaling more than $135 million. The work’s aim is to help relieve power loads on existing area substations, help prevent equipment damage and continue to ensure customer requirements are met, according to TVA.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years