FEMA offering assistance to update flood maps, develop flood data
by Associated Press
Published: July 26,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Federal Emergency Management Agency is providing money to help some areas of Mississippi update their flood maps and develop information on flooding risks.
The Vicksburg Post reports the activities dovetail onto work completed since 2002 to update flood maps in Mississippi.
In 2011, technical adjustments to Warren County’s maps took areas less prone to hundred-year floods out of special flood hazard areas.
Flood maps are to be updated and a report prepared for the Lower Big Black Watershed in Warren, Hinds, Claiborne, Yazoo, Madison and Holmes counties as part of an ongoing mapping program by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Also, flood risk data will be developed for the Lower Pearl, Big Sunflower and Mississippi Coastal watersheds in 19 counties, including Warren, Sharkey, Yazoo, Issaquena, Washington, Coahoma, Bolivar, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Leflore, Humphreys, Lamar, Marion, Walthall, Pearl River, Stone, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties.
Topographic data will collected in the Middle-Pearl Strong and Lower Leaf River watersheds, which comprise Madison, Leake, Scott, Hinds, Rankin, Copiah, Smith, Simpson, Jasper, Clarke, Jones, Wayne, Lamar, Forrest, Perry and Greene counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “FEMA offering assistance to update flood maps, develop flood data”
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Mississippi Power CEO's departure due to withholding Kemper information from regulators
- Hosemann revels in victory over Court's redistricting ruling
- LNG facility hoping to begin exporting natural gas
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Airport's food irradiation business could create new jobs
- In wake of bond issue failure, golf course fights to stay playable
- Nullification and interposition
- Ag officials say late planting reaching historical proportions