FEMA offering assistance to update flood maps, develop flood data
Published: July 26,2012
ACROSS MISSISSIPPI — The Federal Emergency Management Agency is providing money to help some areas of Mississippi update their flood maps and develop information on flooding risks.
The Vicksburg Post reports the activities dovetail onto work completed since 2002 to update flood maps in Mississippi.
In 2011, technical adjustments to Warren County’s maps took areas less prone to hundred-year floods out of special flood hazard areas.
Flood maps are to be updated and a report prepared for the Lower Big Black Watershed in Warren, Hinds, Claiborne, Yazoo, Madison and Holmes counties as part of an ongoing mapping program by the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Also, flood risk data will be developed for the Lower Pearl, Big Sunflower and Mississippi Coastal watersheds in 19 counties, including Warren, Sharkey, Yazoo, Issaquena, Washington, Coahoma, Bolivar, Sunflower, Tallahatchie, Leflore, Humphreys, Lamar, Marion, Walthall, Pearl River, Stone, Hancock, Harrison and Jackson counties.
Topographic data will collected in the Middle-Pearl Strong and Lower Leaf River watersheds, which comprise Madison, Leake, Scott, Hinds, Rankin, Copiah, Smith, Simpson, Jasper, Clarke, Jones, Wayne, Lamar, Forrest, Perry and Greene counties.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “FEMA offering assistance to update flood maps, develop flood data”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- MBJ Special report: MDA numbers help with cities’ retail pitches
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- COO of TL Wallace Construction keeps eye on revenue growth and profits
- RAISING AWARENESS — Lori Newcomb, family join fight against ovarian cancer
- Isle of Capri reports decreased in-state revenues; experiencing 'market pressures'
- DREAMS AND OYSTERS — Houstons set for August opening of Saltine in Fondren