City officials sign sale option for new biofuels facility
Published: July 27,2012
Tags: biofuel, economic development, employment, energy, facility, industrial real estate, job, land, manufacture, manufacturer, manufacturing, municipal government, municipality, option, plant, property, real estate, REFINERY, renewable energy, sale, work, worker
ABERDEEN — Aberdeen officials have signed a sale option with SPW and Associates of Birmingham, Ala., in hopes of bringing in a biofuel plant.
Monroe County Chamber of Commerce executive director Tony Green said the company plans to produce diesel and jet fuel at the Aberdeen site.
He said SPW has put down earnest money, and if the purchase price is agreed upon, the sale could close in 60 days.
The plant site would be at the city-owned port.
Officials with SPW and its partner, Centra Energy, said it would take as long as a year to get the proper environmental permits and financing to start building. Construction could take another 18 months.
“We’re very excited to have the opportunity to come to Aberdeen to utilize as much existing equipment as possible and employ more people,” said Mark Warner, president and chief executive officer of Centra Energy.
Warner said the hiring process will begin during the latter phases of construction and the biofuel plant has the potential of creating more than 100 jobs at capacity.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation