National coon-hunting competition coming to state
Published: July 27,2012
BATESVILLE — The United Kennel Club will hold its Winter Classic Coon Hunt in Batesville.
The three-day event had been held in Albany, Ga., for the past 25 years.
The event will be held on its traditional weekend, from Jan. 25-27, 2013, at the civic center.
Officials tell the Panolian the Winter Classic typically draws 600 dogs that are divided into four-dog “casts.”
Each cast hunts separately, with a guide and judge. The judge records each dog’s performance on a score card. The cards from the highest-scoring dogs in each cast are then compared to determine first through 10th place from all the entries.
Only UKC-registered dogs are allowed in the competition. The recognized breeds are Bluetick, Treeing Walker, English, Red Bone, Black and Tan, Leopard and Plott.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Short supplies, high demand boost cattle producer profits
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today