Harris accepts new position
by MBJ Staff
Published: July 29,2012
Jeff Harris is the new Mississippi State University Extension Service apiculture specialist and researcher with the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station. Harris previously worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the honeybee-breeding laboratory in Baton Rouge, La. For the past 12 years, Harris has focused his research efforts on breeding honeybees resistant to the Varroa mite, a pest that afflicts and weakens honeybee colonies.
Harris began his work with bees at the age of 8, when he caught his first swarm. Harris worked for a small commercial beekeeper near Montgomery, Ala., through high school and college to pay for tuition. That experience taught him how to raise queens. It also gave him insight into the commercial side of the beekeeping industry.
While in graduate school, Harris enjoyed working with students and interacting with faculty, something he missed during his career as a USDA researcher.
Harris received a bachelor’s degree in physical science from Auburn University, a master’s degree in entomology from Louisiana State University and a Ph.D. in insect physiology from LSU.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public