LaRose named chef
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 5,2012
Louis LaRose is the new executive chef at The Palette Cafe by Viking located in the Mississippi Museum of Art. In addition to pleasing guests in the cafe, he also takes charge of catering the private and public events at the museum.
LaRose entered the restaurant industry in Jackson, his hometown, in the early 1990s, starting as a dishwasher. After waiting and bussing tables and prepping in local kitchens, he found his place as a cook and began working in local restaurants in the Jackson area including BRAVO!. In the mid-1990s LaRose left Jackson for North Miami, Fla., where he studied culinary arts at Johnson & Wales University. While at Johnson & Wales, he served as the captain of the University’s Special Functions Team. During his time in Florida, he began competing in American Culinary Federation cooking competitions, worked for Mark Millitello at Mark’s Las Olas and cooked alongside chefs Allan Susser and Norman Van Aken at special events in and around Miami. By the time he had graduated summa cum laude in 1998 from Johnson & Wales, Louis had amassed a wealth of experience working at numerous local restaurants and become expert in the Caribbean and island flavors and cuisines of the region.
Upon graduation in 1998, LaRose returned to Jackson and rejoined Jeff Good and Dan Blumenthal as the chef at BRAVO!. He continued his culinary journey in Jackson when he worked with chef Derek Emerson to open Local 463 Urban Kitchen.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)