New river museum to host grand opening this month
Published: August 8,2012
VICKSBURG — The Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Vicksburg District will hold the grand opening ceremony of the Lower Mississippi River Museum and Riverfront Interpretive Site (LMRM) Aug. 24 at 9 a.m.
The LMRM is located in downtown Vicksburg at 910 Washington Street at the Washington and Jackson Streets intersection. The museum provides a glimpse at life along the river — examining both the risks and benefits of living so close to the water. The museum has an orientation theater, classroom space and an assortment of interactive and educational displays for all ages.
The museum also features tours aboard the Motor Vessel Mississippi IV. This tugboat was in use from the 1960s until 1993 when it was finally retired. Visitors will get a feel for life aboard the vessel through interactive displays, a variety of historical items and a boat simulator in the pilothouse.
The grand opening ceremony includes several guest speakers and a ribbon cutting to open the museum to the public. Parking and a shuttle will be available at the Grand Station and City parking garages on Mulberry Street. Additional details will be announced one week prior to the date.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “New river museum to host grand opening this month”
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Tanger Outlets involved in Southaven project
- New Mississippi state highway map is available for the public
- DAVID DALLAS: Who in the Hell are We?
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Analysts hail BancorpSouth stock buyback as ‘handsome’ reward for shareholders