New river museum to host grand opening this month
by Associated Press
Published: August 8,2012
VICKSBURG — The Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Vicksburg District will hold the grand opening ceremony of the Lower Mississippi River Museum and Riverfront Interpretive Site (LMRM) Aug. 24 at 9 a.m.
The LMRM is located in downtown Vicksburg at 910 Washington Street at the Washington and Jackson Streets intersection. The museum provides a glimpse at life along the river — examining both the risks and benefits of living so close to the water. The museum has an orientation theater, classroom space and an assortment of interactive and educational displays for all ages.
The museum also features tours aboard the Motor Vessel Mississippi IV. This tugboat was in use from the 1960s until 1993 when it was finally retired. Visitors will get a feel for life aboard the vessel through interactive displays, a variety of historical items and a boat simulator in the pilothouse.
The grand opening ceremony includes several guest speakers and a ribbon cutting to open the museum to the public. Parking and a shuttle will be available at the Grand Station and City parking garages on Mulberry Street. Additional details will be announced one week prior to the date.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “New river museum to host grand opening this month”
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability