New river museum to host grand opening this month
Published: August 8,2012
VICKSBURG — The Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Vicksburg District will hold the grand opening ceremony of the Lower Mississippi River Museum and Riverfront Interpretive Site (LMRM) Aug. 24 at 9 a.m.
The LMRM is located in downtown Vicksburg at 910 Washington Street at the Washington and Jackson Streets intersection. The museum provides a glimpse at life along the river — examining both the risks and benefits of living so close to the water. The museum has an orientation theater, classroom space and an assortment of interactive and educational displays for all ages.
The museum also features tours aboard the Motor Vessel Mississippi IV. This tugboat was in use from the 1960s until 1993 when it was finally retired. Visitors will get a feel for life aboard the vessel through interactive displays, a variety of historical items and a boat simulator in the pilothouse.
The grand opening ceremony includes several guest speakers and a ribbon cutting to open the museum to the public. Parking and a shuttle will be available at the Grand Station and City parking garages on Mulberry Street. Additional details will be announced one week prior to the date.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “New river museum to host grand opening this month”
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics