New river museum to host grand opening this month
Published: August 8,2012
VICKSBURG — The Vicksburg Convention and Visitors Bureau and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Vicksburg District will hold the grand opening ceremony of the Lower Mississippi River Museum and Riverfront Interpretive Site (LMRM) Aug. 24 at 9 a.m.
The LMRM is located in downtown Vicksburg at 910 Washington Street at the Washington and Jackson Streets intersection. The museum provides a glimpse at life along the river — examining both the risks and benefits of living so close to the water. The museum has an orientation theater, classroom space and an assortment of interactive and educational displays for all ages.
The museum also features tours aboard the Motor Vessel Mississippi IV. This tugboat was in use from the 1960s until 1993 when it was finally retired. Visitors will get a feel for life aboard the vessel through interactive displays, a variety of historical items and a boat simulator in the pilothouse.
The grand opening ceremony includes several guest speakers and a ribbon cutting to open the museum to the public. Parking and a shuttle will be available at the Grand Station and City parking garages on Mulberry Street. Additional details will be announced one week prior to the date.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “New river museum to host grand opening this month”
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Ex-state employee gets jail time for embezzling from school
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Giles Ward will not seek reelection to Senate
- Congressional delegation applauds Air Force's decision on Keesler, but not satisfied
- Madison's Christmas on Ice will not take place this year
- Report: Mississippi sees biggest hike in home insurance premiums in U.S.
- Businessman involved in Frankel insurance scam dies at 81
- County rescinds gun ban; sheriff says lawmakers may 'deal with the consequences'
- Commission to decide if emergency should be declared in Delta school system