Hotel developer gets tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant
Published: August 13,2012
COLUMBUS — A financing grant has been increased for a Columbus developer planning a hotel.
Columbus-Lowndes Development Link CEO Joe Higgins told the Lowndes County Board of Supervisors the tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant to Columbus Properties, LLC will increase from $3 million to $3.85 million.
The Commercial Dispatch reports developer Mark Castleberry said the money will be used to build a Hampton Inn and Suites hotel at a site on 18th Avenue North in Columbus.
The new hotel will be about the same size as the Fairfield hotel that operates nearby, Castleberry said. Construction on the Hampton Inn development likely will begin at the end of this year or in early 2013.
Construction on a 110-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the site is scheduled to begin next month.
Under the tax deal, Higgins told county supervisors the $3.85 million is only payable if the project reaches completion.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Spivey named Under 40 Business Person of the Year by the Mississippi Business Journal
- JACK WEATHERLY: Finding a house, defending a neighborhood, finding a voice
- Top 40 Under 40
- Terminal upgrade on indefinite hold at Jackson International Airport
- Bids on reworking Interstate 55 stretch are rejected
- JACK WEATHERLY: Economic development in these parts is a ‘family’ business
- MDA to close all its regional offices
- CFPB wants repay ability at center of new payday loan rules
- Top 40 Under 40 (digital magazine)