Hotel developer gets tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant
Published: August 13,2012
COLUMBUS — A financing grant has been increased for a Columbus developer planning a hotel.
Columbus-Lowndes Development Link CEO Joe Higgins told the Lowndes County Board of Supervisors the tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant to Columbus Properties, LLC will increase from $3 million to $3.85 million.
The Commercial Dispatch reports developer Mark Castleberry said the money will be used to build a Hampton Inn and Suites hotel at a site on 18th Avenue North in Columbus.
The new hotel will be about the same size as the Fairfield hotel that operates nearby, Castleberry said. Construction on the Hampton Inn development likely will begin at the end of this year or in early 2013.
Construction on a 110-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the site is scheduled to begin next month.
Under the tax deal, Higgins told county supervisors the $3.85 million is only payable if the project reaches completion.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal