Hotel developer gets tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant
Published: August 13,2012
COLUMBUS — A financing grant has been increased for a Columbus developer planning a hotel.
Columbus-Lowndes Development Link CEO Joe Higgins told the Lowndes County Board of Supervisors the tax-in-lieu-of-financing grant to Columbus Properties, LLC will increase from $3 million to $3.85 million.
The Commercial Dispatch reports developer Mark Castleberry said the money will be used to build a Hampton Inn and Suites hotel at a site on 18th Avenue North in Columbus.
The new hotel will be about the same size as the Fairfield hotel that operates nearby, Castleberry said. Construction on the Hampton Inn development likely will begin at the end of this year or in early 2013.
Construction on a 110-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the site is scheduled to begin next month.
Under the tax deal, Higgins told county supervisors the $3.85 million is only payable if the project reaches completion.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center