SPEC releasing thousands of seatrout fingerlings in bay
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 15,2012
SAINT LOUIS BAY — The Seatrout Population Enhancement Cooperative (SPEC), a partnership of the University of Southern Mississippi Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL), Mississippi Department of Marine Resources (MDMR) and Coastal Conservation Association (CCA) of Mississippi since 2005, is releasing thousands of spotted seatrout fingerlings into the waters of Saint Louis Bay this week. Yesterday’s release was at the Merlin Necaise Boat Launch on the Wolf River, and tomorrow’s release will be at the Cedar Point Boat Launch, Bay St. Louis.
Prior to this release, the fingerlings are tagged at a grow-out facility belonging to Aqua Green, LLC, an aquaculture firm in Perkinston. The trout were transferred to the Stone county site when they were roughly a month old and were able to be weaned off of live feed.
These fish were produced at GCRL’s Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center located at its Cedar Point site in Ocean Springs. To date, a total of about 500,000 fingerlings have been released into Davis Bayou and Bay St. Louis.
Tomorrow’s release is scheduled for 4 p.m.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option