Abandoned package shuts down Meridian Regional
Published: August 17,2012
MERIDIAN — A suspicious package left in bushes near the terminal of Meridian Regional Airport has turned out to be harmless.
The airport had been shut down and evacuated after the package was found yesterday about noon.
The Meridian Police Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Meridian Homeland Security, TSA, and the airport authority responded, and later found the package to contain regular luggage items.
A 1 p.m. Delta flight landed and was delayed 30 minutes until the terminal reopened.
Airport authority president Tom Williams told WTOK-TV the bag’s owner likely left it outside the terminal and probably intended to come back and get it. The person who left the baggage will not face charges.
Airports usually warn against leaving bags unattended. Any such items are treated as ‘suspicious’ as a precaution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Jail kitchen supervisor pleads guilty to stealing food
- Warden who lives hundreds of miles from jail resigns
- A BIG CHANGE: New mortgage rules seen bringing increase in pricey mobile home loans
- Top 10 finalists chosen for C Spire Conerly Trophy
- Ex-MDEQ leader Fisher joins Butler Snow
- State’s new banking chief Charlotte Corley has deep roots in the business
- Analyst: KiOR Columbus plant may end up sold as scrap
- (UPDATE) Gov. Bryant: $1.2 billion aluminum plant is a very exciting proposition for the state of Mississippi
- DAVID DALLAS: Savor this Thanksgiving and be grateful
- BankPlus recognized for alternative program to payday lending