Abandoned package shuts down Meridian Regional
Published: August 17,2012
MERIDIAN — A suspicious package left in bushes near the terminal of Meridian Regional Airport has turned out to be harmless.
The airport had been shut down and evacuated after the package was found yesterday about noon.
The Meridian Police Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Meridian Homeland Security, TSA, and the airport authority responded, and later found the package to contain regular luggage items.
A 1 p.m. Delta flight landed and was delayed 30 minutes until the terminal reopened.
Airport authority president Tom Williams told WTOK-TV the bag’s owner likely left it outside the terminal and probably intended to come back and get it. The person who left the baggage will not face charges.
Airports usually warn against leaving bags unattended. Any such items are treated as ‘suspicious’ as a precaution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency