Abandoned package shuts down Meridian Regional
Published: August 17,2012
MERIDIAN — A suspicious package left in bushes near the terminal of Meridian Regional Airport has turned out to be harmless.
The airport had been shut down and evacuated after the package was found yesterday about noon.
The Meridian Police Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Meridian Homeland Security, TSA, and the airport authority responded, and later found the package to contain regular luggage items.
A 1 p.m. Delta flight landed and was delayed 30 minutes until the terminal reopened.
Airport authority president Tom Williams told WTOK-TV the bag’s owner likely left it outside the terminal and probably intended to come back and get it. The person who left the baggage will not face charges.
Airports usually warn against leaving bags unattended. Any such items are treated as ‘suspicious’ as a precaution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Research on dogs could lead to better understanding of human cancer
- Keesler Medical Center set to begin $74M renovation project
- ONE MORE YEAR: Leaders want year more of study on comprehensive road, bridge upkeep
- Community college dedicating new welding technology center