Abandoned package shuts down Meridian Regional
Published: August 17,2012
MERIDIAN — A suspicious package left in bushes near the terminal of Meridian Regional Airport has turned out to be harmless.
The airport had been shut down and evacuated after the package was found yesterday about noon.
The Meridian Police Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Meridian Homeland Security, TSA, and the airport authority responded, and later found the package to contain regular luggage items.
A 1 p.m. Delta flight landed and was delayed 30 minutes until the terminal reopened.
Airport authority president Tom Williams told WTOK-TV the bag’s owner likely left it outside the terminal and probably intended to come back and get it. The person who left the baggage will not face charges.
Airports usually warn against leaving bags unattended. Any such items are treated as ‘suspicious’ as a precaution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- State Rep. Patterson switches from Democrats to GOP
- Ex-baliff wants pay or her job back after termination