Abandoned package shuts down Meridian Regional
by Associated Press
Published: August 17,2012
MERIDIAN — A suspicious package left in bushes near the terminal of Meridian Regional Airport has turned out to be harmless.
The airport had been shut down and evacuated after the package was found yesterday about noon.
The Meridian Police Department, Mississippi Highway Patrol, Meridian Homeland Security, TSA, and the airport authority responded, and later found the package to contain regular luggage items.
A 1 p.m. Delta flight landed and was delayed 30 minutes until the terminal reopened.
Airport authority president Tom Williams told WTOK-TV the bag’s owner likely left it outside the terminal and probably intended to come back and get it. The person who left the baggage will not face charges.
Airports usually warn against leaving bags unattended. Any such items are treated as ‘suspicious’ as a precaution.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Nullification and interposition
- Court rules in clinic dispute involving St. Dominic, HMA
- Small business owners take picture perfect advantages with Instagram
- Defunct casino to be moved; cost could rise depending on 'crud'
- City, state to hold second sale of tax-forfeited property
- Tenn. company makes unspecified offer to lease hospital
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections
- TROTTER: Social security claiming strategies