County first to offer ‘Exercise is Medicine’ program
by Associated Press
Published: August 20,2012
RANKIN COUNTY — A new exercise and education program coordinated by the American College of Sports Medicine is starting up in Rankin County.
The Clarion-Ledger reports Mississippi is the first state in the Exercise is Medicine Network, which strives to make exercise a standard part of disease prevention and treatment.
The network’s adviser, Phil Trotter, says they’re setting up convenient locations for Mississippi Action 55-plus, a program for senior adults at risk for obesity, diabetes and sedentary lifestyles. Mississippi Action 55-plus will be available free to an estimated 10,000 senior adults in Rankin County.
It plans to have 20 metro Jackson locations by the first quarter of 2013, add 75 locations in other major metro areas the same year, and rural areas in 2014.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip