County first to offer ‘Exercise is Medicine’ program
Published: August 20,2012
RANKIN COUNTY — A new exercise and education program coordinated by the American College of Sports Medicine is starting up in Rankin County.
The Clarion-Ledger reports Mississippi is the first state in the Exercise is Medicine Network, which strives to make exercise a standard part of disease prevention and treatment.
The network’s adviser, Phil Trotter, says they’re setting up convenient locations for Mississippi Action 55-plus, a program for senior adults at risk for obesity, diabetes and sedentary lifestyles. Mississippi Action 55-plus will be available free to an estimated 10,000 senior adults in Rankin County.
It plans to have 20 metro Jackson locations by the first quarter of 2013, add 75 locations in other major metro areas the same year, and rural areas in 2014.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Supreme Court deals blow to McDaniel's election challenge
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- Bryant protests immigrant children being housed in state
- Gunn, Reeves introduce performance-based budget plan
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency