County first to offer ‘Exercise is Medicine’ program
Published: August 20,2012
RANKIN COUNTY — A new exercise and education program coordinated by the American College of Sports Medicine is starting up in Rankin County.
The Clarion-Ledger reports Mississippi is the first state in the Exercise is Medicine Network, which strives to make exercise a standard part of disease prevention and treatment.
The network’s adviser, Phil Trotter, says they’re setting up convenient locations for Mississippi Action 55-plus, a program for senior adults at risk for obesity, diabetes and sedentary lifestyles. Mississippi Action 55-plus will be available free to an estimated 10,000 senior adults in Rankin County.
It plans to have 20 metro Jackson locations by the first quarter of 2013, add 75 locations in other major metro areas the same year, and rural areas in 2014.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- Chancery judge delays JRA bond approval for Jackson's Westin hotel
- KILL BILL: Common Core death knell heads to Gov. Bryant's desk
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Keeping our eye on: Neal Stephens
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing