Service Specialist wins museum contract from Corps
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 20,2012
Tags: barge, boat, boating, Commerce, contract, education, federal agency, federal government, flood, flood control, flooding, maritime, Museum, railroad, river, river traffic, service contract, ship, shipping, towboat, train, transportation
VICKSBURG and RIDGELAND — The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg District, has awarded a contract to Service Specialist of Ridgeland for the operation and maintenance of the Lower Mississippi River Museum and Riverfront Interpretive Site (LMRM).
The amount of the yearly contract is $305,000 and will provide staff, interpretive services, general maintenance and landscaping of the building, boat and grounds. The contract started Aug. 13 with option for a one-year extension.
The LMRM is located in downtown Vicksburg and features the retired Motor Vessel Mississippi IV and a flood model of the Mississippi River. The museum and motor vessel will educate and inform visitors about the lower Mississippi River and its relationship to Vicksburg and the lower Mississippi Delta region. There will administrative staff, tours and meeting rooms available.
A model of the Mississippi River on the west side of the museum building will interpret the stretch of the Mississippi River from Greenville to Vicksburg. It will illustrate how the Mississippi River, levees, and control structures interact while simulating a normal and flood flows. The model was designed and built by the Engineer Research Development Center of Vicksburg.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics