MDOT to unveil plan to widen Interstate 20
Published: August 22,2012
VICKSBURG — Mississippi transportation officials are set to unveil plans to widen Interstate 20 to six lanes in Vicksburg.
The Vicksburg Post reports the Mississippi Department of Transportation will discuss the plans during a public meeting at the Vicksburg Convention Center.
MDOT also proposes to elevate the interstate in some areas and rebuild some interchanges.
MDOT’s plans are to add a lane to the interstate to make it three in each direction — between the Washington Street/Warrenton Road exit and the U.S. 61 North/Mississippi Highway 27 exit.
The plan also calls for overpasses at Halls Ferry Road, Clay Street and Wisconsin Avenue to be redesigned.
Traffic on the frontage roads would be turned one-way while lanes are widened, exits are reconfigured and detours are built.
“This is part of the closing of the environmental study,” said Kevin Magee, a MDOT engineer.
After the hearing, the study heads to the Federal Highway Administration and the state will move on to buying rights of way, moving utilities and, ultimately, construction, Magee said.
The total cost is expected to be $100 million.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Peavey's wellness program honored after workers drop 1,000 pounds
- Group, lesbian couples look to overturn state's ban on same-sex marriages
- Pickering lists concerns over Mississippi Adequate Education Program formula
- Watkins says JRA out to block him from Farish by repaying HUD $1.5M
- Mississippi Film Studios signs contract with New Orleans company
- Mars Food expanding Delta plant; investing $31M and adding jobs
- State renews battle over water use with city of Memphis
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015