Coast City Council: Repair abandoned hotel or raze it
Published: August 22,2012
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council says the White House Hotel should be repaired or demolished.
Councilman George Lawrence told The Sun Herald he would vote to force repairs of the hotel on U.S. 90, which has sat vacant for more than 20 years, but not for demolition.
Jerry Creel, community development director, says he recommended the city direct owner Jay Love to enclose the west side of the building, which now is a skeleton of beams, give the rest of the building a facelift and improve the grounds.
A deadline for action wasn’t imposed.
If he fails to act, the city can have the building repaired or demolished. Creel said he got estimates for demolition of $234,000 and $588,000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'