Coast City Council: Repair abandoned hotel or raze it
Published: August 22,2012
BILOXI — The Biloxi City Council says the White House Hotel should be repaired or demolished.
Councilman George Lawrence told The Sun Herald he would vote to force repairs of the hotel on U.S. 90, which has sat vacant for more than 20 years, but not for demolition.
Jerry Creel, community development director, says he recommended the city direct owner Jay Love to enclose the west side of the building, which now is a skeleton of beams, give the rest of the building a facelift and improve the grounds.
A deadline for action wasn’t imposed.
If he fails to act, the city can have the building repaired or demolished. Creel said he got estimates for demolition of $234,000 and $588,000.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Drew Brees settles lawsuit alleging investment fraud
- Doctor convicted of using phony church for tax shelter
- Ex-Delta mayor indicted, accused of stealing city property
- Cochran's legal counsel asks Court to toss McDaniel's lawsuit
- Williams-Sonoma expanding, adding nearly 1,000 jobs
- Biloxi baseball project still alive but may be held for 2015
- Travis retiring as head of Mississippi World Trade Center
- More than half-dozen groups file charter school applications
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters