Bushby receives recognition
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 26,2012
Dr. Phil Bushby, a professor with the Mississippi State University College of Veterinary Medicine, has received national recognition from the American Veterinary Medical Association for his dedication to animal welfare. Bushby received the 2012 American Veterinary Medical Association’s Animal Welfare Award at the national convention in San Diego. He has taught at MSU since 1978 and holds the Marcia P. Lane Endowed Chair in Humane Ethics and Animal Welfare.
Bushby manages the mobile veterinary unit, which travels to animal shelters in North Mississippi that do not have surgical facilities. Students work under faculty direction to spay and neuter shelter animals. Spayed and neutered animals are then adopted by community members. This work gives students surgical experience and teaches them about how they can help solve the problem of pet overpopulation.
Bushby received his doctor of veterinary medicine in 1972 from the University of Illinois. After graduation, he served as an intern and surgical resident in the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animal’s Henry Bergh Hospital, which increased his concern for animals.
In 1994, Bushby created one solution to the problem of unwanted pets by teaching students how to perform spay and neuter procedures at local animal shelters. His work there attracted the attention of Marcia P. Lane, and she created an endowed chair position to bring a stronger focus to ethical issues in animal care.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- The leadership styles of President Obama
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- ASA postmortem: industrial recruiting is a constant cycle of death and life
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast