Overstreet to be featured
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 26,2012
Dr. Robin Overstreet, longtime scientist at the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, is being featured as part of a special series on influential researchers at the lab who are retiring or near retirement. Overstreet, who has been part of the GCRL faculty for more than 40 years, is considered by many to be the premier aquatic parasitologist in the world. He is the third GCRL scientist to be featured in the series “Pioneers in Marine and Fisheries Research at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.”
Overstreet, who was born in Eugene, Ore., served in the Navy before attending the University of Oregon for his undergraduate degree and eventually ending up across the country at what is now the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) at the University of Miami.
It was 1968 when Overstreet first visited GCRL and recognized an opportunity to set up a world-class marine parasitology research lab.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- MDOT: Work on I-269 is on schedule, several phases at halfway point
- Margaritaville owner files for bankruptcy before landlord hearing
- Delta Council says condition of Highway 6 'of crisis dimensions'
- Severstal completes the sale of Columbus plant to Steel Dynamics
- Another marker going up on Mississippi Country Music Trail
- Researchers fly drone into hurricane for the first time
- House votes for transfer of Yellow Creek Port land to state
- City leaders vote against offering insurance to one adult, possibly same-sex partner