Overstreet to be featured
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 26,2012
Dr. Robin Overstreet, longtime scientist at the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, is being featured as part of a special series on influential researchers at the lab who are retiring or near retirement. Overstreet, who has been part of the GCRL faculty for more than 40 years, is considered by many to be the premier aquatic parasitologist in the world. He is the third GCRL scientist to be featured in the series “Pioneers in Marine and Fisheries Research at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.”
Overstreet, who was born in Eugene, Ore., served in the Navy before attending the University of Oregon for his undergraduate degree and eventually ending up across the country at what is now the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS) at the University of Miami.
It was 1968 when Overstreet first visited GCRL and recognized an opportunity to set up a world-class marine parasitology research lab.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- DAVID DALLAS — Just how long can Dan stand?
- Cal-Maine income skyrockets as prices rise and costs shrink
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Lawmakers move on bonds despite complaints from colleges and universities
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Business groups file briefs in support of Kemper coal plant rehearing
- Grain scandal takes its toll on Delta farmers
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love