Gulfport-Biloxi International suspending flights; Coast casinos close
Published: August 28,2012
GULFPORT — The Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport is suspending all incoming and outgoing flights before noon today due to the approach of Isaac.
The last flights are scheduled to depart at 11 a.m. today, says Clay Williams, airport executive director.
He says the airport will probably close tomorrow, but flights are scheduled to resume Thursday.
The airport is served by five airlines that offer nonstop service to Atlanta; Charlotte, N.C.; Dallas/Ft. Worth; Houston; and, St. Petersburg/Clearwater, Fla.
In another Isaac-related piece, the Mississippi Gaming Commission has ordered all coast casinos to close.
The casinos had to close by 10 a.m. CDT today.
Two Biloxi casinos, the Palace and the Beau Rivage, closed their doors at 8 a.m. today. And, the two casinos in neighboring Hancock County, the Silver Slipper and Hollywood, closed Monday because they’re in low-lying areas where officials ordered a mandatory evacuation.
Water from the Mississippi Sound was rising today into the exterior parking lot and bottom level of the parking garage at Beau Rivage.
Palace general manager Keith Crosby says the chance of flooding Biloxi’s Point Cadet area was one reason he decided to close. He also was concerned about employees trying to drive through storm surge to get to work.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Deal for Jackson-Orlando flights in works with Allegiant
- Baseball stadium for Farish Street? It’s possible
- State GOP chairman calls on McDaniel to hurry with challenge
- Explosion at Coast fish plant leaves one dead, three injured
- McCarthy hired as CFO of Mississippi Development Authority
- Former Gov. Musgrove pushing lawsuit to school districts
- Guns OK inside Mississippi polling places, attorney general says
- Former state lawmaker Green dies at home at age 62
- 'Get on Up' movie premiers in Madison with Chadwick Boseman and Tate Taylor walking the red carpet
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi