MEMA gives update on Isaac’s impact on Coast
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 29,2012
Tags: disaster, disaster response, emergency, evacuate, evacuation, evacuee, flood, flooding, highway, hurricane, law enforcement, military, natural disaster, rain, road, severe wqeather, shelter, state agency, travel, tropical weather, water, Weather, wind
MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST — Hurricane Isaac has slowed in the Gulf and continues to send torrential rains over already rain-soaked areas throughout Mississippi and Louisiana, according to the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA). Emergency operations continue for Mississippians affected by the storm with the following updates given at 7 a.m. this morning by MEMA:
• Shelters: 31 shelters across the state are open with 2,132 evacuees housed.
• Power Outages: As of 5:30 a.m., approximately 4,000 homes are reported without power, of which 735 are Entergy customers.
• Road closures: U.S. 90 between Bay St. Louis Bridge to Biloxi Bay Bridge is closed to all traffic, and Highway 604 in Hancock County, north of Pearlington, is also closed.
• Search/Rescue: Overnight, in Hancock County, there were three adults and one infant who were rescued from a houseboat on the Pearl River near Pearlington.
• Mississippi National Guard: 1,500 National Guard troops were deployed to affected areas.
• Mississippi Highway Patrol: 104 troopers from the MHP were deployed to affected areas to assist local law enforcement. Many of these troopers are members of the Special Operations Group, which specializes in search and rescue operations.
Resources: A truckload of generators is staged at Camp Shelby south of Hattiesburg to be deployed as needed to areas affected by the storm; 20 truckloads of water and two truckloads of tarps are staged and to be distributed as needed; and, over 80,000 sandbags were distributed to affected counties.
For up-to-date information on American Red Cross shelters, go to mississippi-redcross.org/. For updates on MEMA emergency operations, call the MEMA information line at 1-866-519-6362 or go online to www.msema.org.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- Brandon man hauls in record 756-pound alligator
- Is cotton looking too good? Farmers facing weaker prices
- Woman found guilty of murder in buttocks injection case
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- REVVING UP — Motorcars of Jackson is preparing to open its first-ever showroom on I-55
- FLIPPING OUT — Flipping houses is popular in much of the country, but in Mississippi ...
- Mississippi judge dismisses lawsuit seeking to overturn Sen. Cochran's GOP primary win
- Healthcare Marketplace to look much the same in 2015