Livability.com: Oxford second-best college town in U.S.
by MBJ Staff
Published: August 30,2012
OXFORD — The home of the University of Mississippi has been named one of the nation’s top college towns.
Livability.com ranks the city of Oxford No. 2 on its third-annual listing of top college towns. It was No. 9 on last year’s list and this year ranks right behind College Station, Texas, home of new SEC member Texas A&M.
“While there is an equal number of permanent residents and college students, the town retains a sophisticated feel,” the website’s review says. “That comes from the care city leaders take in preserving historic buildings and the fact that business owners know their clients have an appreciation for the finer things in life.”
The review also spotlights the university’s contribution to the city’s cultural scene, citing the UM Museum, Rowan Oak and Ole Miss Theatre offerings as being particularly important. It also notes that retirees have a chance to take UM classes tuition-free.
“College towns are appealing to all demographics because universities bring a host of quality-of-life amenities, such as arts and cultural activities, top-notch medical facilities and nightlife, as well as economic development assets, such as research and development, continuing education and workforce training,” said John Hood, spokesman for Livability.com.
Other cities making the list are Logan, Utah, home to Utah State University; Champaign, Ill., home of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; Lawrence, Kan., home to the University of Kansas; Corvallis, Ore., home to Oregon State University; Bloomington, Ind., home to Indiana University; Athens, Ga., home to the University of Georgia; Ann Arbor, Mich., home to the University of Michigan; and Blacksburg, Va., home to Virginia Tech.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- WRESTLING SUCCESS — Ted DiBiase Jr. leaves ring to become entrepreneur
- Williams Brothers General Store is something to count on
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- Pearl ordering rental properties to retrofit with sprinklers, build storm shelters
- Two new casinos like the odds on Mississippi Gulf Coast