Weakened dam prompts precautionary evacuation
by Associated Press
Published: September 5,2012
LAMAR COUNTY — A portion of the Buccaneer Drive Dam that separates two lakes in Lamar County is sliding, which could cause flooding downstream, so emergency management officials have called for a precautionary evacuation.
The sliding, initially reported Monday, is also causing cracks on the roadway.
WDAM-TV reports there is no immediate danger and the dam — located at the southeast limit of the Lake Serene subdivision — has not been breached, but as a precaution officials have closed the road until they can relieve pressure off the dam.
The Lamar County Emergency Management Agency also has ordered a precautionary evacuation of 14 homes below the dam on Oak Grove Lake. A second slide yesterday and the forecast of more rain prompted the evacuation order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- George’s Girls put shopping skills to work
- DMR pays accounting firm more than double contract's worth
- Following ruling, Entergy to hand over records to county
- MSU Foundation names five new members
- Crowded field lines up for Jackson mayoral election
- Justice Department files complaint against tax preparer
- Another fiberhood qualifies for C Spire 1-gigabit Internet service
- Cochran questions nominee concerning Stanford ponzi scheme
- Report: State's emergency care ranks highest in Southeast