Weakened dam prompts precautionary evacuation
Published: September 5,2012
LAMAR COUNTY — A portion of the Buccaneer Drive Dam that separates two lakes in Lamar County is sliding, which could cause flooding downstream, so emergency management officials have called for a precautionary evacuation.
The sliding, initially reported Monday, is also causing cracks on the roadway.
WDAM-TV reports there is no immediate danger and the dam — located at the southeast limit of the Lake Serene subdivision — has not been breached, but as a precaution officials have closed the road until they can relieve pressure off the dam.
The Lamar County Emergency Management Agency also has ordered a precautionary evacuation of 14 homes below the dam on Oak Grove Lake. A second slide yesterday and the forecast of more rain prompted the evacuation order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation