Weakened dam prompts precautionary evacuation
Published: September 5,2012
LAMAR COUNTY — A portion of the Buccaneer Drive Dam that separates two lakes in Lamar County is sliding, which could cause flooding downstream, so emergency management officials have called for a precautionary evacuation.
The sliding, initially reported Monday, is also causing cracks on the roadway.
WDAM-TV reports there is no immediate danger and the dam — located at the southeast limit of the Lake Serene subdivision — has not been breached, but as a precaution officials have closed the road until they can relieve pressure off the dam.
The Lamar County Emergency Management Agency also has ordered a precautionary evacuation of 14 homes below the dam on Oak Grove Lake. A second slide yesterday and the forecast of more rain prompted the evacuation order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring