Weakened dam prompts precautionary evacuation
by Associated Press
Published: September 5,2012
LAMAR COUNTY — A portion of the Buccaneer Drive Dam that separates two lakes in Lamar County is sliding, which could cause flooding downstream, so emergency management officials have called for a precautionary evacuation.
The sliding, initially reported Monday, is also causing cracks on the roadway.
WDAM-TV reports there is no immediate danger and the dam — located at the southeast limit of the Lake Serene subdivision — has not been breached, but as a precaution officials have closed the road until they can relieve pressure off the dam.
The Lamar County Emergency Management Agency also has ordered a precautionary evacuation of 14 homes below the dam on Oak Grove Lake. A second slide yesterday and the forecast of more rain prompted the evacuation order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early