Weakened dam prompts precautionary evacuation
Published: September 5,2012
LAMAR COUNTY — A portion of the Buccaneer Drive Dam that separates two lakes in Lamar County is sliding, which could cause flooding downstream, so emergency management officials have called for a precautionary evacuation.
The sliding, initially reported Monday, is also causing cracks on the roadway.
WDAM-TV reports there is no immediate danger and the dam — located at the southeast limit of the Lake Serene subdivision — has not been breached, but as a precaution officials have closed the road until they can relieve pressure off the dam.
The Lamar County Emergency Management Agency also has ordered a precautionary evacuation of 14 homes below the dam on Oak Grove Lake. A second slide yesterday and the forecast of more rain prompted the evacuation order.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Host families prepare for Mississippi Braves’ season
- Ridgeland property rights tussle is expected to have wide impact
- JOSH MABUS — Mississippi’s Healthcare: Not a quality problem, a marketing problem
- Mississippi takes an incentives licking, keeps on ticking
- PHIL HARDWICK: When will Mississippi change its culture?
- Investors in Northbrook complex say Ridgeland targeting its own collateral for demolition
- AWAITING ITS FATE: Gables complex may have to shrink to meet law
- HUNTER ARNOLD: Mississippi, Gulf Coast states focus on global business markets
- Bill would open hospital meetings, expand records access