Magaritaville Casino laying off approximately 200 workers
Published: September 6,2012
Tags: casino, employee, employment, entertainment, gambler, gambling, gaming, hospitality, hotel, layoff, lodging, nightlife, restaurant, tourism, tourist, unemployment, vacation, visitor, work, worker
BILOXI — Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville Casino & Restaurant Biloxi is laying off about 50 full-time and 150 part-time workers as the summer tourist season ends.
CFO Scott King tells the Sun Herald for six weeks the company has been informing employees their jobs would end with summer.
Margaritaville hired nearly 1,000 people for its opening May 22. Traditionally, Coast casinos hire additional employees for the opening and the summer and adjust employment levels seasonally.
King says Hurricane Isaac added to the layoffs because high water damaged the marina and the outdoor bar and dining area.
The Biloxi property is the first stand-alone Margaritaville Casino. Others are being built in Bossier City, La., and Atlantic City. The original Margaritaville Casino opened inside the Flamingo Hilton in Las Vegas.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office