Bryant leads group to Japan for trade conference
Published: September 14,2012
TOKYO, Japan — Gov. Phil Bryant of Mississippi is one of five Southeastern U.S. governors in Japan for a trade conference.
Bryant, his chief of staff Kirk Sims and Mississippi Development Authority employees are in Tokyo attending the 35th annual joint meeting of the Southeast U.S./Japan and Japan-U.S. Southeast Associations.
The gathering started yesterday and ends tomorrow.
Other governors in Japan for the conference are Beverly Perdue of North Carolina, Nathan Deal of Georgia, Bill Haslam of Tennessee and Nikki Haley of South Carolina.
Gov. Robert Bentley of Alabama and Gov. Rick Scott of Florida are not attending.
Japanese automakers Nissan and Toyota have manufacturing plants in Mississippi, and several other Japanese companies have a presence in the state. Bryant is meeting with several trade partners, said his spokesman, Mick Bullock.
“Japan is Mississippi’s largest source of foreign direct investment, and our state’s participation in SEUS-Japan allows us to strengthen our existing ties with Japanese business leaders and pursue new trade and investment relationships,” Bryant said in an Aug. 8 news release announcing the trip.
Bryant left Tuesday and will return to the United States Sept. 19. His wife, Deborah, did not go on the trip.
“Mississippi’s participation in the SEUS-Japan annual meeting reaffirms to the Japanese business community that Mississippians value our existing relationships and that our state wishes to partner with our Japanese counterparts on additional trade and investment opportunities,” MDA executive director Brent Christensen said when the trip was announced.
Mississippi will host the 2013 meeting of the Southeast U.S./Japan and Japan-U.S. Southeast Associations.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
One Response to “Bryant leads group to Japan for trade conference”
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'