MSU to hold grand opening of business incubator
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 14,2012
STARKKVILLE — Mississippi State University will hold the grand opening of the newest building in the Thad Cochran Research, Technology and Economic Development Park Monday beginning at 2 p.m.
Funded by grants from the U.S. Department of Commerce’s National Institute of Standards and Technology and the Mississippi Development Authority, the 20,000-square-foot building is home to a new business incubator, as well as operations for II-VI Inc., according to Mississippi State University Research and Technology Corporation director Marc McGee, who oversees the research park.
II-VI Inc. is a Pennsylvania-based firm with manufacturing facilities, distributors and agents around the world. It is a global producer of engineered materials and optoelectronic components.
“The presence of a major international manufacturer of high-tech products with applications in industrial manufacturing, military and aerospace, high-power electronics and telecommunications and thermoelectronics applications in the park illustrates the significant impact that university research parks can have in the communities they serve, particularly in a rural state like Mississippi,” said David Shaw, MSU’s vice president for research and economic development.
The 2 p.m. celebration will include comments by Sen. Thad Cochran, Mississippi’s senior senator.
The 272-acre park is home to nine buildings and 1,500-plus employees, and represents some $100-million-plus of investment.
Construction of a second entrance and boulevard connecting the park with Highway 182 is under way with completion expected early next year.
In addition to II-VI Inc., Camgian Microsystems, HBM nCode Federal, Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, High Performance Computing Collaboratory, SemiSouth Laboratories, Social Science Research Center, MSU Energy Institute, Sitel and Tennessee Valley Authority are among current residents of the park.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- BILL CRAWFORD: Dan Jones not the angel he is portrayed to be
- JOSH MABUS: Bill Murray and business misfits
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Analysis: Closed meetings can feed false public impressions
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Bill would use casino taxes for bridges, little for tourism
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Statue depicts famous duel that originated 'Bowie knife'