MDEQ lifts post-Isaac closure on stretch of beach
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 17,2012
Tags: disaster, disaster recovery, environment, flood, flooding, health, hurricane, pollution, public health, quality, rain, storm, storm surge, tidal, tropical, water, water contact, wave, Weather, wind
HARRISON COUNTY — The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality has lifted a beach closure issued Aug. 31 for a portion of the beach in Harrison County.
The stretch of beach is at Station 11A, Edgewater Beach, which extends from Debuys Road on the west to Edgewater Avenue on the east.
MDEQ issued a closure for all beach waters in the wake of Hurricane Isaac. Water samples at this station show the area has attained acceptable bacteria levels. The Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, which performs water sampling of the Mississippi Gulf Coast beaches for MDEQ, notifies the agency when an area returns to acceptable levels and safe conditions.
The Harrison County Sand Beach Department reports this monitoring station is included in the section of beach that has been cleared of debris and opened to the public.
All other beach monitoring stations remain closed for water contact activity due to debris hazards and/or water quality concerns. MDEQ says it is sampling water quality as beach station sites are cleared of debris and will continue to lift closures at cleaned sites when tests indicate the water quality meets standards.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Molpus closes Fund after more than $662M in commitments
- MSU reminding fans that drones are prohibited at football games
- Politics of paying for transportation: Hand wringing and a lot of talk
- DeSoto County Supervisor Lee dies in ATV accident on his birthday
- Former DPS employees sentenced for selling bogus driver's licenses
- Researchers: Trapping, not hunting, best way to control wild hogs
- Realtors chooses Nita Wingard
- Entergy agrees to cut $35M from its new rate plan
- No debate, but Cochran and Childers lobby for votes for Senate