Hood presents check for $35M to state lawmakers
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 18,2012
JACKSON — Attorney General Jim Hood has delivered a check to lawmakers for over $35 million in monies recovered by his office.
As part of the Average Wholesale Price (AWP) litigation, the $35 million returned to the state includes more than $12 million from a settlement with Barr Laboratories Inc., IVAX Pharmaceuticals Inc., Sicor Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.
The settlement addressed Medicaid fraud claims and consumer protection violations involving pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Also included in the $35 million returned was $5.9 million from two other AWP settlements — one with Alpharma USPD Inc. and Purepac Pharmaceutical Co., and another with Par Pharmaceutical Companies Inc and Par Pharmaceutical Inc.
In addition to the AWP recoveries, the amount returned to the state includes approximately $840,000 as part of a consumer settlement with Abbott Laboratories involving allegations of unfair and deceptive practices in the promotion and sale of the drug depakote.
The remainder of the $35 million, approximately $16 million, comes from previously announced settlements with Microsoft and Facility Construction Management as well as funds from the nationwide mortgage settlement.
To date, Hood’s office has recovered more than $650 million in taxpayer dollars.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Comstock quits Tuscaloosa play on falling prices
- Clinton office complex sold for $20.5 million
- Ingalls to lease former SRHS clinic in Gautier for employee medical center
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- Meadville mayor seeks Sojourner's Senate seat
- PHIL HARDWICK: Characteristics of a good year-end fundraising letter
- Record soybean yield is valued at $1.17 billion
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today