Hood presents check for $35M to state lawmakers
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 18,2012
JACKSON — Attorney General Jim Hood has delivered a check to lawmakers for over $35 million in monies recovered by his office.
As part of the Average Wholesale Price (AWP) litigation, the $35 million returned to the state includes more than $12 million from a settlement with Barr Laboratories Inc., IVAX Pharmaceuticals Inc., Sicor Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Teva Pharmaceuticals USA Inc.
The settlement addressed Medicaid fraud claims and consumer protection violations involving pharmaceutical manufacturers.
Also included in the $35 million returned was $5.9 million from two other AWP settlements — one with Alpharma USPD Inc. and Purepac Pharmaceutical Co., and another with Par Pharmaceutical Companies Inc and Par Pharmaceutical Inc.
In addition to the AWP recoveries, the amount returned to the state includes approximately $840,000 as part of a consumer settlement with Abbott Laboratories involving allegations of unfair and deceptive practices in the promotion and sale of the drug depakote.
The remainder of the $35 million, approximately $16 million, comes from previously announced settlements with Microsoft and Facility Construction Management as well as funds from the nationwide mortgage settlement.
To date, Hood’s office has recovered more than $650 million in taxpayer dollars.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics