Ingalls awarded contract; delivers ship to Navy
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 18,2012
PASCAGOULA — Huntington Ingalls Industries’ Ingalls Shipbuilding Division has been awarded an $83.3 million cost-plus-award-fee contract from the U.S. Navy for continued life-cycle engineering, modernization and support services on the U.S. Navy’s fleet of USS Ticonderoga-class (CG 47) Aegis guided missile cruisers.
The contract is the first of five options, which if exercised would place the total value of the contract at $468.2 million.
Ingalls, as lead shipbuilder for the Aegis cruiser program, delivered 19 of the 27 Ticonderoga-class ships between 1982 and 1994.
Ingalls will perform the work in Pascagoula and provide waterfront support in U.S. Navy ports in Norfolk, Va.; Mayport, Fla.; San Diego; Pearl Harbor, Hawaii; and, Yokosuka, Japan.
In a separate item, Ingalls Shipbuilding has delivered the amphibious transport dock Anchorage (LPD 23) to the U.S. Navy. It is the seventh ship of the San Antonio (LPD 17) class built at Ingalls.
The ship recently completed U.S. Navy acceptance trials, with shipbuilders successfully accomplishing more than 200 tests on the ship during the sea trial period.
Ingalls has now delivered seven ships in the class and has four more in various stages of development or construction.
The LPD 17-class ships are 684 feet long and 105 feet wide and displace approximately 25,000 tons. Their principal mission is to deploy the combat and support elements of Marine Expeditionary Units and Brigades. The ships can carry up to 800 troops and have the capability of transporting and debarking air cushion (LCAC) or conventional landing crafts, augmented by helicopters or vertical take-off and landing aircraft such as the MV-22.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- The First acquiring Alabama bank in cash/stock deal
- Todd Smith's Spin Cycle — Not milk! It’s end of era for milk industry’s iconic ‘Got Milk?’ campaign
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- District at Eastover takes shape with financing in place, tenant signings under way
- MBJ's Businesswoman of the Year never expected her career to take this path
- Mississippi ag aviation plays a critical role in production and profitability