Southern Bancorp branch earns LEED certification
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 18,2012
HERNANDO — Shortly after the opening of the Southern Bancorp Hernando Branch in summer 2011, Southern applied for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.
The United States Green Building Council (USGBC) has now awarded the Hernando Branch its LEED Certification – the first LEED Certified bank building in the State of Mississippi, according to Southern.
The Hernando Branch features more windows for day lighting, increased views for inhabitants, higher degree of insulation and more energy-efficient air conditioning system. The site has a larger green area than a bank its size normally would, containing plants compatible with the local climate. The lights are also of a lower wattage and have sensors to adjust to daylight and room occupancy. The building uses recycled materials like its cork floor, which is renewable and soft for the employees that stand throughout the day.
Alan Sims, DeSoto County president for Southern Bancorp, said, “A component of Southern’s mission is to promote community economic development through innovative means, and this building is an example of our commitment to our mission. We were charged with constructing a building our customers and employees will truly enjoy and we believe we have accomplished this.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge to hear from True the Vote as McDaniel attempts to overturn loss to Cochran
- DAVID DALLAS: Mr. McDaniel goes to Washington
- Under state probe, All American Check Cashing gets ‘F’ rating from Better Business Bureau
- Walker sentenced to 18 months for fraud, conspiracy
- Three indicted, alleged to have embezzled from agency
- Weyerhaeuser investing $57M to modernize lumber mill
- Manning family establishes health care initiative at UMMC
- Google chooses Mad Genius as example of Internet use
- Communities awarded national Main Street accreditation