Southern Bancorp branch earns LEED certification
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 18,2012
HERNANDO — Shortly after the opening of the Southern Bancorp Hernando Branch in summer 2011, Southern applied for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification.
The United States Green Building Council (USGBC) has now awarded the Hernando Branch its LEED Certification – the first LEED Certified bank building in the State of Mississippi, according to Southern.
The Hernando Branch features more windows for day lighting, increased views for inhabitants, higher degree of insulation and more energy-efficient air conditioning system. The site has a larger green area than a bank its size normally would, containing plants compatible with the local climate. The lights are also of a lower wattage and have sensors to adjust to daylight and room occupancy. The building uses recycled materials like its cork floor, which is renewable and soft for the employees that stand throughout the day.
Alan Sims, DeSoto County president for Southern Bancorp, said, “A component of Southern’s mission is to promote community economic development through innovative means, and this building is an example of our commitment to our mission. We were charged with constructing a building our customers and employees will truly enjoy and we believe we have accomplished this.”
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- UMMC reaching out after death of high school football player
- Thousands of acres of Delta farmland to go on auction block
- Former Godwin CEO Danny Mitchell dies at 66
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Board files suit against VA over release of patients' names
- Gov. Bryant sets special election date for Senate District 17
- Northrop Grumman lands $354M Air Force contract for Global Hawks
- Mississippi sounds coming to Americana Music Festival & Conference
- City trying to determine who has authority to spend gaming money