Judge asks MDWF&P for list of Collins Zoo’s violations
by Associated Press
Published: September 21,2012
COLLINS — A Covington County Justice Court Judge has asked the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks to create a comprehensive list of state regulation violations at the Collins Zoo and submit the list within 30 days.
Judge Bobby Wayne Mooney said he would give the zoo owners six months from receiving the list to make appropriate improvements to the facility. Then, after the six months, he would rule whether animals seized in a Jan. 25 raid would be returned.
Mooney said the numerous citations written to owners Gus and Betty White would await disposition until the end of the six-month period.
The Hattiesburg American reports a January seizure netted several tigers, wolf hybrids, leopards, cougars and a Rhesus macaque.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Family launches Billups Coffee with headquarters in Oxford
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip
- Running luxury car dealerships, like Mercedes of Jackson, comes naturally to Trudy Higginbotham Moody
- ‘Just the beginning’ — Venture Technologies merging, acquiring companies
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- Chaney drops lawsuit against National Flood Insurance Program
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- Hood joins other AGs in efforts to curb copper theft
- Entergy gives $500K grant to The Nature Conservancy