UM brings in Duke
by MBJ Staff
Published: September 23,2012
Rick Duke, an acknowledged proponent of knowledge-led economic development, is the University of Mississippi’s new director of economic development and executive director of Insight Park. Duke will be responsible for leading the university’s economic development strategies by leveraging university knowledge to improve the competitiveness of Mississippi businesses, partnering with state and federal agencies and developing the university’s research park and business incubator, Insight Park.
Duke, an Atlanta native, has worked in university-based economic development for more than 27 years. During his previous role as the director of the Trent Lott National Center for Excellence in Economic Development and Entrepreneurship at the University of Southern Mississippi, Duke developed strong relationships with regional economic development organizations, including the Mississippi Development Authority, Tennessee Valley Authority and the Mississippi Manufacturing Association. Duke’s other university experience included a 25-year tenure at the Georgia Institute of Technology, where he worked on the academic, applied research aspects of community economic development, including health care and eldercare around the state.
Duke received his undergraduate degree in management from Georgia Tech and an MBA from Florida Southern College. He also has experience in the private sector, having worked 10 years in manufacturing with Kraft Foods.
Duke and his wife, Lynne James, have two sons living near Atlanta.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Barbour to lead Butler Snow economic development firm
- (UPDATE) Prison won’t interrupt ex-prison chief’s retirement cash flow
- Kemper plant employee gag order continued
- JOSH MABUS — Inbound marketing is fueled by wishful thinking
- Ex-prison boss and businessman admit to bribery scheme
- Delta State conference brings renowned speakers
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY — Doug Dale’s self-awareness helps lift him to top of his game
- (UPDATE) Judge rules on Google request on attorney general inquiry
- The leadership styles of President Obama