Former House member Bowles dies at 78
Published: September 24,2012
HOUSTON — William Eugene “Billy” Bowles, who served 20 years in the Mississippi House of Representatives and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years, has died. He was 78.
Officials with Houston Funeral Home said today Bowles died yesterday at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Houston First United Methodist Church in Houston.
Bowles, a staunch support of small business, retired from the Legislature in 2004. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
Survivors include: his wife, Ruby Kate Wooldridge Bowles of Houston; two sons; six grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and, a brother.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- The Dan Jones-IHL saga: Is this the story that started it all?
- Email from Nash to Delta Council’s Morgan included in DHA court file
- Dan Jones rejects IHL offer, won't publicly apologize
- DAVID DALLAS — From Dan and Dixie with love
- Delta Health Alliance CEO Karen Fox under investigation for possible misuse of funds
- BREAKING NEWS: Trustees offer new deal to Ole Miss chancellor Dan Jones
- Suit against Kemper employee Brett Wingo is dismissed
- Ole Miss chancellor: Talks continue over job status
- Man charged in noose left on integration statue at Ole Miss