Former House member Bowles dies at 78
Published: September 24,2012
HOUSTON — William Eugene “Billy” Bowles, who served 20 years in the Mississippi House of Representatives and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years, has died. He was 78.
Officials with Houston Funeral Home said today Bowles died yesterday at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Houston First United Methodist Church in Houston.
Bowles, a staunch support of small business, retired from the Legislature in 2004. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
Survivors include: his wife, Ruby Kate Wooldridge Bowles of Houston; two sons; six grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and, a brother.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Mississippi Economic Council
Mississippi Chambers of Commerce
Mississippi State Legislature
Mississippi Development Authority
Mississippi Economic Development Council
North Mississippi News
Social Security Disability Lawyer
Auto Accidents Lawyer
Top Posts & Pages
- Aluminum company rumored for Columbus: 'clock' is for website, not plant site
- Shale oil: market correction or longterm direction?
- Miss. surgeon sentenced in tax evasion case
- MBJ exclusive: Jackson’s new airport CEO fulfills desire to taking on the top job
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Gary Herring building tomorrow by educating today
- 'Blue Economy' important for Mississippi's future
- WILLOUGHBY: Mayo Flynt leads AT&T Mississippi by enjoying both work and workers
- J.McLaughlin to open in Highland Village next spring
- Hyatt-Place is Columbus’ newest hotel option