Former House member Bowles dies at 78
Published: September 24,2012
HOUSTON — William Eugene “Billy” Bowles, who served 20 years in the Mississippi House of Representatives and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years, has died. He was 78.
Officials with Houston Funeral Home said today Bowles died yesterday at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Houston First United Methodist Church in Houston.
Bowles, a staunch support of small business, retired from the Legislature in 2004. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
Survivors include: his wife, Ruby Kate Wooldridge Bowles of Houston; two sons; six grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and, a brother.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Top Posts & Pages
- Judge moves McDaniel's lawsuit challenging loss to Cochran
- Tragedy for Jackson Prep: Football player Walker Wilbanks dies
- Officials set hunting dates for birds; expands dove season by 20 days
- TECH 21 — Mississippi's most wanted in technology
- DAVID DALLAS — Mississippi needs one university
- Scientists seeing more invasive trapjaw ants on Coast
- R.J. Allen ranked as fastest-growing company in Mississippi
- Senate election ballot approved as McDaniel's challenge continues
- Trop Greenville ahead of schedule on significant expansion