Former House member Bowles dies at 78
by Associated Press
Published: September 24,2012
HOUSTON — William Eugene “Billy” Bowles, who served 20 years in the Mississippi House of Representatives and ran Bowles Grocery for 34 years, has died. He was 78.
Officials with Houston Funeral Home said today Bowles died yesterday at Sanctuary Hospice House in Tupelo. Services will be at 2 p.m. tomorrow at Houston First United Methodist Church in Houston.
Bowles, a staunch support of small business, retired from the Legislature in 2004. The country storekeeper was known for standing up during debates to ask who wanted a certain bill. He was chairman of the Oil and Gas Committee from 1992-2004.
Survivors include: his wife, Ruby Kate Wooldridge Bowles of Houston; two sons; six grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and, a brother.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Panther Creek megasite — Putting a value proposition out there
- BBB issues warning involving asphalt paving scam
- Prescription for success — Transcript Pharmacy continues fast growth
- Study: Mississippi has highest sales tax rate in U.S.
- Panther Creek's location in medical industry zone boosts bio-med prospects
- Mississippi State makes NSF ranking of research universities
- TVA president/CEO Johnson tours Techumseh, Yokohama plants
- Sawtimber, pulpwood markets improving, but challenges remain
- News The Way You Want It!
- Chris McDaniel responds to radio show audio clip