Democrats backing Banks for state Supreme Court
by Associated Press
Published: September 25,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Democratic Party is endorsing Democratic state Rep. Earle Banks of Jackson as he runs for state Supreme Court.
The endorsement was announced yesterday, weeks after the state Republican Party endorsed the man Banks is trying to unseat, Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. of Jackson.
Mississippi judicial candidates run without party labels, but state law doesn’t stop political parties from throwing their support behind candidates.
Banks is an attorney and president of People’s Funeral Home. He has served in the House since 1993.
Waller has served on the Supreme Court since 1996 and became chief justice in 2009.
The central district has 22 counties: Bolivar, Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Madison, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Rankin, Scott, Sharkey, Sunflower, Warren, Washington and Yazoo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Fervor grows for Tuscaloosa Marine Shale
- Click Boutique revives Hattiesburg downtown retail district
- KEEPING OUR EYE ON: Elizabeth Harris
- Brown would make history if confirmed as judge
- Real estate company paying $1M for compromising wetlands
- Nullification and interposition
- Froyo y’all: Couple brings 'delicious' dessert to Delta
- Authorities: Suspect in ricin-laced letters case appeared to try to run
- Undersecretary: 'I understand the frustration' over catfish inspections