Democrats backing Banks for state Supreme Court
Published: September 25,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Democratic Party is endorsing Democratic state Rep. Earle Banks of Jackson as he runs for state Supreme Court.
The endorsement was announced yesterday, weeks after the state Republican Party endorsed the man Banks is trying to unseat, Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. of Jackson.
Mississippi judicial candidates run without party labels, but state law doesn’t stop political parties from throwing their support behind candidates.
Banks is an attorney and president of People’s Funeral Home. He has served in the House since 1993.
Waller has served on the Supreme Court since 1996 and became chief justice in 2009.
The central district has 22 counties: Bolivar, Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Madison, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Rankin, Scott, Sharkey, Sunflower, Warren, Washington and Yazoo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Grand juries charge seven with election violations
- Dak Prescott's autograph fetches a pretty penny
- Butler Snow names Crockoft new office director
- Farm theft investigation recovers $200K in stolen equipment
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics