Democrats backing Banks for state Supreme Court
Published: September 25,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Democratic Party is endorsing Democratic state Rep. Earle Banks of Jackson as he runs for state Supreme Court.
The endorsement was announced yesterday, weeks after the state Republican Party endorsed the man Banks is trying to unseat, Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. of Jackson.
Mississippi judicial candidates run without party labels, but state law doesn’t stop political parties from throwing their support behind candidates.
Banks is an attorney and president of People’s Funeral Home. He has served in the House since 1993.
Waller has served on the Supreme Court since 1996 and became chief justice in 2009.
The central district has 22 counties: Bolivar, Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Madison, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Rankin, Scott, Sharkey, Sunflower, Warren, Washington and Yazoo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Twang & Tourism: The Country Music Trail
Still planning that summer vacation?
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Seafood R’evolution set to make Mississippi ‘the new culinary epicenter of the South’
- Yarber could be sworn in today as new Jackson mayor
- Silver Airways ordered to continue service
- Pharma Pac lays off rest of workers; could end up owing state
- Ole Miss launches commitment to be 'climate neutral'
- After review, MSU moves forward on new research facility
- Bryant signs controversial abortion ban bill
- SpaceX, Stennis officially open new rocket test stand
- Plans unveiled for large shooting range on Coast