Democrats backing Banks for state Supreme Court
by Associated Press
Published: September 25,2012
JACKSON — The Mississippi Democratic Party is endorsing Democratic state Rep. Earle Banks of Jackson as he runs for state Supreme Court.
The endorsement was announced yesterday, weeks after the state Republican Party endorsed the man Banks is trying to unseat, Chief Justice Bill Waller Jr. of Jackson.
Mississippi judicial candidates run without party labels, but state law doesn’t stop political parties from throwing their support behind candidates.
Banks is an attorney and president of People’s Funeral Home. He has served in the House since 1993.
Waller has served on the Supreme Court since 1996 and became chief justice in 2009.
The central district has 22 counties: Bolivar, Claiborne, Copiah, Hinds, Holmes, Humphreys, Issaquena, Jefferson, Kemper, Lauderdale, Leake, Madison, Neshoba, Newton, Noxubee, Rankin, Scott, Sharkey, Sunflower, Warren, Washington and Yazoo.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- School superintendent terminated after party funds, travel questions
- Accounting firm finds problems at troubled MDMR
- Hosemann recruiting Realtors to market tax-forfeited property
- Airline announces new service at Oxford
- Davis resigns, turning over mayor's office early
- Woman indicted for Medicaid fraud; faces up to 35 years in prison
- Telepak strikes another branding deal with C Spire
- Report: State's teacher education programs 'mediocre at best'
- C Spire launches new WiFi On app for Android-powered phones