Construction getting underway on new aquatic center
Published: September 27,2012
Tags: athletics, builder, building, builld, city, community development, construction, contractor, dive, diver, diving, municipal government, municipality, project, sports, swim, swimmer, swimming, water sports
TUPELO — Work crews are putting up a temporary fence this week around the construction site of Tupelo’s new aquatic center.
A groundbreaking was held last Tuesday for the $11 million facility being built near the entrance to Veterans Park.
Officials say construction will take about 14 months with a grand opening of the nearly 44,000-square-foot facility tentatively planned for late 2013.
The sprawling complex will house one Olympic-size pool and one smaller pool for fitness or instruction classes. It also will have spectator seating, locker rooms, restrooms, offices, a multipurpose room, kitchen, lobby and an outdoor area for sunbathing.
Once the aquatic center is complete, the city will do-away-with the Rob Leake Swimming pool and replace it with a splash pad.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- DAVID DALLAS: You say “Obama”, I say “Ebola”
- Judge gets more time to fight efforts to remove him from office
- Voters to decide whether hunting, fishing is constitutional right
- MARTIN WILLOUGHBY: Andrew Adams helps grow Addicus
- Coast cleanup nets 1,600 bags of trash — and a watermelon patch
- State's bad bridges continue to raise concerns among officials
- Number of visitors to Natchez Trace makes big jump
- MISSISSIPPI RISING: Time to sell the image
- Epidemiologist: State's hospitals can identify, isolate Ebola cases
- C Spire wins national award, cash prize for marketing analytics