Construction getting underway on new aquatic center
Published: September 27,2012
Tags: athletics, builder, building, builld, city, community development, construction, contractor, dive, diver, diving, municipal government, municipality, project, sports, swim, swimmer, swimming, water sports
TUPELO — Work crews are putting up a temporary fence this week around the construction site of Tupelo’s new aquatic center.
A groundbreaking was held last Tuesday for the $11 million facility being built near the entrance to Veterans Park.
Officials say construction will take about 14 months with a grand opening of the nearly 44,000-square-foot facility tentatively planned for late 2013.
The sprawling complex will house one Olympic-size pool and one smaller pool for fitness or instruction classes. It also will have spectator seating, locker rooms, restrooms, offices, a multipurpose room, kitchen, lobby and an outdoor area for sunbathing.
Once the aquatic center is complete, the city will do-away-with the Rob Leake Swimming pool and replace it with a splash pad.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
FOLLOW THE MBJ ON TWITTERMy Tweets
Top Posts & Pages
- Alcorn president launches new customer service task force
- NEW IN MADISON COUNTY — Mississippi Bio-Medical Business Collaboratory to be introduced Friday
- David Duval, former British Open winner, joins Sanderson Farms field
- Court rules against Greenwood councilwoman; must give up office
- GreenTech holds grand opening of neighborhood electric vehicle plant
- Turner Grain’s bankruptcy will help consolidate lawsuits alleging breach of contract
- Cochran continues to reach out to African American voters
- Peoples Bank reports quarterly loss due to bad loans
- Senators write letter over Waters of the United States proposal