Construction getting underway on new aquatic center
by Associated Press
Published: September 27,2012
Tags: athletics, builder, building, builld, city, community development, construction, contractor, dive, diver, diving, municipal government, municipality, project, sports, swim, swimmer, swimming, water sports
TUPELO — Work crews are putting up a temporary fence this week around the construction site of Tupelo’s new aquatic center.
A groundbreaking was held last Tuesday for the $11 million facility being built near the entrance to Veterans Park.
Officials say construction will take about 14 months with a grand opening of the nearly 44,000-square-foot facility tentatively planned for late 2013.
The sprawling complex will house one Olympic-size pool and one smaller pool for fitness or instruction classes. It also will have spectator seating, locker rooms, restrooms, offices, a multipurpose room, kitchen, lobby and an outdoor area for sunbathing.
Once the aquatic center is complete, the city will do-away-with the Rob Leake Swimming pool and replace it with a splash pad.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- UPDATED: House subcommittee tosses discrimination elements from religious freedom bill
- Lawmakers debating alternative to Medicaid expansion
- Chris McDaniel gets a thank you note from Travis Childers
- Senate passes teacher pay raise legislation
- Nehi Bottling Company has been a Cleveland fixture for 85 years
- Pickering collects more money from failed beef plant project
- States settle with manufacturers in DRAM price-fixing case
- Reactive Surfaces files lawsuit against Toyota in patent dispute
- White House hotel making comeback in Biloxi