Construction getting underway on new aquatic center
by Associated Press
Published: September 27,2012
Tags: athletics, builder, building, builld, city, community development, construction, contractor, dive, diver, diving, municipal government, municipality, project, sports, swim, swimmer, swimming, water sports
TUPELO — Work crews are putting up a temporary fence this week around the construction site of Tupelo’s new aquatic center.
A groundbreaking was held last Tuesday for the $11 million facility being built near the entrance to Veterans Park.
Officials say construction will take about 14 months with a grand opening of the nearly 44,000-square-foot facility tentatively planned for late 2013.
The sprawling complex will house one Olympic-size pool and one smaller pool for fitness or instruction classes. It also will have spectator seating, locker rooms, restrooms, offices, a multipurpose room, kitchen, lobby and an outdoor area for sunbathing.
Once the aquatic center is complete, the city will do-away-with the Rob Leake Swimming pool and replace it with a splash pad.
To sign up for Mississippi Business Daily Updates, click here.
Top Posts & Pages
- Alumni-couple donate $12.3M to Mississippi State
- IKE TROTTER: There are primary changes in Social Security for 2014
- MAN OF STEEL: Madhu Ranade leading Severstal Columbus
- Town given Obamacare insurance break, but faces additional costs in 2015
- TRIP releases report on state's crumbling roads, bridges
- Expert on airlines predicts Jackson-Evers will keep remaining carriers
- Butler Snow Advisory Services adds Jimmy Bailey
- C Spire launches next phase of 1-gig service rollout
- MDA to lead delegation on mission to Europe
- Public meeting called to mull future of convention center